Gearbox Oil

betajitsie

ive just checked my gearbox oil for tomorrow and found that when i start it the oil in the sight glass gradually goes a milky white colour is this water??????ive checked the water level and its full so could it be a seal or sumthing ?have i got anything to worry about or will it be alright for tomorrow????any help much appreciated as ever thanks alot

Does the motor sound ok? no noisy bearings etc?

I would drop/change the oil asap, see if there is any water in it.

If so, run it again, ride a trial then when cleaning check the oil viewer before, sometimes water gets in via the breather pipe. See what happens.

Change the gearbox oil, check the coolant level and ride the bike.Nothing is going to happen quickly. If you find you are losing coolant with no apparent external leaks and /or your gearbox oil level is rising then suspect the water pump seal. Check the gearbox breather pipe for signs of emulsification (white frothy deposits).The water pump seal is easily replaced.

Some amount of frothing is usual when the engine is running so leave the bike a good few minutes after running before making judgements on the gearbox oil level and ensure the bike is on a level surface when checking.

Seems to be a popular post here. They have apparently had to improve the hardening on the waterpump shaft and there is also a new improved (black not white) impeller if you need one.

Mine is fine now and after one oil change the oil stays nice and clean. I put some instructions in the post below.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5853

The coolant was not what you would call low either from my leak, it only takes a few drops to contaminate the oil.

Edited by cdn280