Acu Licence Fee Too Cheap

atomant

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, this is where my argument about 'vision' comes in. If you read this thread from top to bottom you will notice a serious degree of Apathy, to some sensible suggestions about making positive changes. The consensus through this post is no one wants to pay more for the affiliation (license or whatever) to the ACU, then that’s ok. So what role the ACU plays in this is an Insurance agent. (This is in simple terms of course and with all due respect to the various unpaid volunteers who help out.)But as we affiliate to the ACU, I would expect to see a detailed plan of how they are driving the sport forward. Forgive me if there is one but I don’t see it. What is their 'Vision' for the future of the sport? Not just at the top level but from the bottom up?

HRC1 makes a good point, if you don’t want to pay an affiliation, then get it back through the levy system on a trial by trial basis and pay that way.

and following on from that suggestion, what about if each centre applies a levy on each trial in its centre with a series of qualifying youth trials held with the winner being sponsored by the funds made available from the centre levy? Has this ever been tried before ?

The parents wouldn't have far to travel to attend the qualifying rounds and following on with my comments about 'community', the success of that rider would be a combination of support from the whole centre and everyone who rode would have made a contribution. ? If you were at a world round and you just saw the same youth rider you sponsored through your riding events in your centre become world champion, dont you think that would be a bit 'special'

When you see someone like Tom Minta clean a section for the first time and the beaming smile across his face of pure elation. Its just priceless!

You talk about choice, then under this scheme, if you want to help the youth, ride the events! And if you don’t, then don’t ride them!

And one last final point, do people not affiliate to the ACU because at

hmm this is a tough cookie

as you all may know i come from a big trails, enduro and MX club

in enduro there is no youth scene at all, while in MX is very separate (in our part of the world) and often run by different governing bodies.

being very much the devil's advocate and in addition to the extensive bits above about trials being the poor man's motorsport; there is an extensive body out here who don't believe in youth funding. now while the RFME (Spain) and the rest fund their youth, i really don't believe we should. if you do it for one sport you have to do it for the rest and I'm not really convinced we should be "sponsoring" youth.

while i understand your case for it, and appreciate private individual and companies (inc Andy's photo operation) helping youth riders is this really the job of the governing body? and whats in it for the governing body - where is the return for the ACU. IMHO and several others out there this is not what the ACU is for or a sensible use of ACU funds.

you make good reference to the ACU's current cash pile of circa

Paying more per trial stinks too !

As Kinell says it's taking the choice away from it.....you will get guys just not turning up because its too dear.

As Club sec Ian, why don't you try it..seek how it goes down, the proofs in the pudding so to speak.

There's enough trials on at the moment to go around, Mid Wales and Midland centre are always clashing (this weekend: MKT Drayton and Clive!).

If it's a toss up between Briedden hills and say

Edited by Marky G

Paying more per trial stinks too !

As Kinell says it's taking the choice away from it.....you will get guys just not turning up because its too dear.

As Club sec Ian, why don't you try it..seek how it goes down, the proofs in the pudding so to speak.

There's enough trials on at the moment to go around, Mid Wales and Midland centre are always clashing (this weekend: MKT Drayton and Clive!).

If it's a toss up between Briedden hills and say

And how much do you pay the organiser to put them on for you? We all do it in our own time for other peoples enjoyment and all the funds are put back into trophies etc.
Why should I pay for Ross Danby to jet off around the world ?

You dont. This isnt about Ross at all. Too late for the current youth riders. This is about 'The Future' and other youngsters coming through in years to come.

But dont worry, when you need them to sort out your retirement home, I'll put a good word in for you.! Alacatraz sounds good B)

Why should I pay for Ross Danby to jet off around the world ?

I agree with marky g there, may be not ross danby but in general. I am going to do the full novogar and welsh championship next year involves alot of money with diesel etc.. yet i dont get any sponsership. I also know a lot of good youth riders in wales who do not get sponsership. Why should i pay for some one else to go and i have to stay at local trial because we cant afford to travel?

There some serious being spent in the youth scence, nearly every one has massive Merc sprinters, motorhomes!!

What your doing for ross is great thou ian top job!!

If I was to give any of my money to Youth riders, I personally would prefer it to go to the grass roots end of the sport.

Lets's encourage more youths to take up trialing. That's what we need.

Well hopefully a report on a training day in Arkengarthdale today should appear on here soon showing Trials Centrals support for this.

I think it's more than apparent that AtomAnt has a great passion for supporting Youths in Trials. However, it's not just Ross and it's not just Youths, but Trials in general. From his Excel Results spreadsheet to the Breidden Hills website to the many hundreds of hours he's put in working away behind the scenes on this site (which will become apparent soon enough) the man works tirelessly for the sport - and all without a penny in reward. We could be done with more like him.

I know for a fact that if I said next week that this site was going subscription based and it would cost you a measly tenner a year (or 19.2p a week) for full access with all proceeds going to develop the sport, 99% of you would walk away. That, unfortunately, is Trials.

I think it's more than apparent that AtomAnt has a great passion for supporting Youths in Trials. However, it's not just Ross and it's not just Youths, but Trials in general. From his Excel Results spreadsheet to the Breidden Hills website to the many hundreds of hours he's put in working away behind the scenes on this site (which will become apparent soon enough) the man works tirelessly for the sport - and all without a penny in reward.

Commendable, no question about it and certainly no complaints from me. Suggestions for helping youths progress is great but to then unilaterally think we are all tight because it's only 20p a week is uncalled for B)

I know for a fact that if I said next week that this site was going subscription based and it would cost you a measly tenner a year (or 19.2p a week) for full access with all proceeds going to develop the sport, 99% of you would walk away. That, unfortunately, is Trials.

I would be one of the 1% that stayed but that would be my personal choice :hat: