Road Registering A Restored Bike

bostit

I have just finishing rebuilding an Armstrong 320 which I would like to register for road use. I've registered new bikes with certificate of newness but this can't work like that can it? It has been registered at some time in it's life but the documents are long since lost, anyone got any advice how to go about it? Will I have to go to have it inspected by DVLA? Any advice appreciated.

I have found the local DVLA (Brighton) really helpful, I gave then the frame and engine numbers, they comfirmed they had a number and told me what form to fill in, got the reg doc's back in a couple of weeks. If they have not been registered you need a confirmation of age which Roy Bacon can do 01983 730635. Also check out DVLA website, some of the forms can be downloaded, phoning Swansea is a nighmare tho'.

hi ,

done this loads of times and its never as complicated as your told it 'might' be

A follow the previous post and ask for the logbook from dvla using the frame numbers if it has ever been registered before you should get a v5 in 2/3 weeks

B get it mot'd dont wait for the v5 it can be mot'd on the frame and engine number

c insure the bike (on the frame number), again dont wait for the v5 ( but do get it mot'd first)

e if dvla have no record or wont give you a v5 give roy bacon a call he'll want some money but has a brilliant turnaround , normally certificate with you by return post once he has your frame number and engine number

f get down the local dvla office (address on their website) with the form filled in from their website, take a flask, and a paper be prepared to wait 4 or more hours to be seen

g hand over the dvla form, cash , mot, roys dating letter, insurance and you should walk away with a v5 within 20 minutes

dont take any no's or got to get it inspected rubbish from dvla your registering a commercialy made vehicle whose age has been verified by a dvla authorised source (roy Bacon) and whose condition has been verified by a qualified person acting on behalf of the dvla (mot centre). If refused demand to speak to the peron in charge and get there name.

yes dvla can ask to see the vehicle but only if the are 'uncomfortable' with your application and as 2 qualified authorised people have already checked your vehicle thier reason would have to be good, ask what the reason is and ask for the answer in writing

the fastest i've done the above in is 72 hours beginning to end.

The office at Trafford in Manchester is slow but helpful

the office at leeds is faster but unhelpful

never ring swansea or a 'local' office either way you end up speaking to the same call centre never the local office and they just read from a script.

like trials easy when you know how, just learning how thats the problem

Roys a nice bloke writes all hose historys of old bike and how to do books, one tip dont call late at night or at the weekend..

like the i.d. tip but have never been asked for it at leeds or manchester offices and not listed as a requirement on dvla website is though necessary for getting the number plate physically made up (with the cub i just asked the wife if it was alright to paint on the mudguards she had paid for, she didn't ask for i.d. )

• 4 weeks later...

This will be of interest to anyone who has to use Birmingham licencing office to register an old bike.

Went there on Thursday to register my C15. Had the MOT (from the day before)insurance certificate, driving licence (as it is the old non-photograph version you also need a utility or credit card bill as proof of address) completed V55 and a dating certificate from the Vintage Motorcycle Club (who are authorised to date old machines by DVLA)confirming the age as 1959.

Whilst I was waiting to be called to the counter a memner of staff was doing the rounds checking that all paperwork etc. was in order before people got to the counter. She told me I would need to get the bike inspected. I thought we'll wait and see what the guy behind the counter says. Everything was in order but he said it would need to be inspected. I asked why and I got the predictable 'that's the procedure' reply. Asked to speak to the manager who promptly arrived and confirmed the same. No exceptions, it must be inspected. I pointed out that I had proof of age from an authorised body and an MOT confirming that the bike complied with the necessary regulations for a vehicle of that age. The inspection, I was told is not to 'MOT' it or examine its condition, merely to verify that it is what I'm claiming it is and that the details given are correct - ie; that the frame number on the bike matches the one I had given and that the bike was what I said it was. This, I was told, is DVLA policy and that all centres should do it (after I pointed out that not everyone has their bike inspected) No exceptions is the rule.

So if you are registering at Birmingham, the chances are you will need to get it inspected before they will issue a registration number. To their credit, when I explained that I was unable to get any more time off to take the bike they agreed for someone to come to the house to inspect it.

PS Anyone had an MOT under the new computerised system. Is this progress? 5 minutes to perform the MOT - 40 minutes waiting for the computer to get a response from wherever as authorisation to print off the certificate. And it is like that every time, that wasn't a one off slow response. It's halved the number of MOT tests this place can do....

GOOD EFFORT WOODY , IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOLLOWED MY ADVICE BUT CAME UP AGAINST A JOBSWORTH CULTURE, AT LEEDS THEY ARE NOW ASKING TO 'INSPECT' ALL VEHICLES WHERE AS IN MANCHESTER THEY CANT BELIEVE YOU'D EVEN BE ASKED. AT LEAST YOU DID N'T HAVE TO TRAILER THE BIKE TO THEM IF THERE PREPARED TO COME TO YOU TO LOOK AT IT.

i WAS ONCE WOKEN BY 4 TRAFFIC POLICEMEN AFTER I HAD MADE A POSTAL APPLICATION FOR A TAX DISC FOR A VINTAGE CAR THAT I HAD OWNED FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

iT TURNED OUT THAT A VERY NICE LADY HAD BEEN UNPREPARED TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS HAD SEEN MY CAR AT A RACE MEETING WRITTEN THE REG. NO. DOWN AND PUT IT ON HER CAR!

THIS VERY NICE LADY WENT ALL THE WAY TO COURT PROTEsTING HER INNOCENCE BEFORE COLLAPSING IN A FLOOD OF TEARS AND THROWING HERSELF AT ''YOUR HONOURS'' MERCY..

FINED 30 QUID..

Edited by totalshell

Have a read of the advice given in the attached image - it was sent out by the National Autocycle and Cycle motor Club with a dating certificate for a bike.

I'm off to the LVLA tomorrow to see how i get on.

Gordon

ps the second bit is in the next post!

post-536-1137361821.jpg

Hopefully this will be of use to someone - a Cyclemotor is not the same as a trials bike - the only similarity is unfortunately most cyclemotors like most trials bikes have a t** stroke engine.

I will let you know the petty beurocracy(sp) gone mad i come up against later on this week.

post-536-1137362247.jpg

Spoke to a mate the other day who is was trying to register a new Gas Gas with a certificate of newness at Worcester and they still insisted on him bringing the bike in. I'll try and have the Armstrong MOT'd this week, had the dating cert from Roy Bacon, what do you recon, should I take the bike in a van and try and get it inspected there and then?

Its worth taking it yes but with all these govt. type jobs, each person has there own role and there'll probably be a man who inspects and no one else can.

With regard to the guy with the new gas gas and a certificate of newness that is DEFINATELY bang out of order. How many new cars and bikes quequed round the block did you see when you went?

NONE thats because its new and has a special certificate.

I suspect the majority of the time that these bikes are requested to be seen it is because the person behind the desk has never heard of them, and lets cut to the bottom line.....

if i turned up with a blue gasgas with sherco stickers all over, insurance for a blue sherco, mot for a blue sherco. What do you think the guy is going to call it when i get my V5!

Edited by totalshell

I have just registered my 03 bike in Manchester without any problem.

I originally took the paperwork in to the Nottingham branch (I was in the area on business) only to be told I needed to bring the bike in for inspection. I had all the paperwork including a letter from GasGas confirming the date of manufacture but that wasn't good enough. She also wanted to know why I was registering at the Nottingham branch when I don't live in the area. Don't really see why it should have been a problem!!

Anyway, two days later I was in Manchester so tried again at the branch on Chester road. Same paperwork - no problems - never even mentioned the inspection. In fact, the guy behind the desk even tried to help me register the bike as new since it had never been registered and had such low mileage. He couldn't understand why I was asking for an 03 registration instead of a 55 plate.

One week later the registration details and tax disk arrived through the post.

Just need to figure out how to get the regulation number plate to fit on to the Gassers mudguard :(

Was in local LVLA today about registering my Cyclemotor. Chap at front desk was surprisingly very helpful, I presented him with form V55/5, MOT, dating certificate & Insurance all on frame no / engine no.

He stated that it was policy now to inspect EVERYTHING but thought they may be swayed not to by a set of high res photos I took along of bike, frame no and engine no. I will know in a couple of days time. The only problem I might have is that the push bike the engine is fitted to is not dated but is listed on the certificate as a period bicycle.

Interestingly the LVLA guy said that inspection could be carried out at home or at a local Police station.

On purpose I tried to be a picture of politeness when I visited, asking for advice on completing the application form , it might help to follow the same route, by appearing not to know all about registration etc - since the guy behind the desk will know more than you on the subject (or should do!) and will have seen it all before - its his job!

One thing to remember is you will have to pay a