mudyman

climber 280 carb jet

Hi all,

I have aquired a 280 Climber which is now running but quite unstable at tick over and just above.

I have found that the PHBH26CS carb which is the air screw version (not the petrol adjustment screw type)  seems to be missing one of the jets.

The Pilot jet is I think made up of 2 jets one is deep down and a sort of  atomizing jet or idle imulsion tube as its´s listed (which is marked with 68) and there should be an idle jet "deep" sitting in front of this but it´s missing.

Can anyone help with the size needed ?

i have 2 carbs from Climbers and both only have the one jet, marked 50. I have other dellortos with the 2 jet system but this doesn't seem to be the same.

Hi 2 stroke 4 stroke

"yip" been in touch with them but need a size or at least a rough guide I could then order a few different ones

Teamferret that´s interesting and makes me uncertain as I was asured it should have 2 and that most people miss the hidden one inside when cleaning.

I was surprised as I expected to see 2, so checked the second carb and it's the same. Also there is not enough thread to fit a second one in

Try your SWM carb on it, I think the air intake is slightly larger but you could leave all that off for a quick test

Edited by teamferret
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2018 at 3:40 AM, mudyman said:

Hi all,

I have aquired a 280 Climber which is now running but quite unstable at tick over and just above.

I have found that the PHBH26CS carb which is the air screw version (not the petrol adjustment screw type)  seems to be missing one of the jets.

The Pilot jet is I think made up of 2 jets one is deep down and a sort of  atomizing jet or idle imulsion tube as its´s listed (which is marked with 68) and there should be an idle jet "deep" sitting in front of this but it´s missing.

Can anyone help with the size needed ?

Didn't the climber have the PHBH 26 BS (fuel screw) as standard ? The PHBH 26 CS (air screw) was a GG carb according to Eurocarb website, either way the below link gives a guide to the CS carb for the '96/'97 GasGas. It gives you somewhere to start.

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-motorcycle-carburettors-parts/complete-carburettors-dellorto-motorcycle-carburettors-parts/phbh-26-to-30mm/r4168-phbh-26cs-gas-gas/

Edited by fourex

Thanks for all the information given.

@ teamferret Yes I was going to put an SWM carb on at the weekend :-) Hope I have the time to try it as the air screw version hasn´t got a good reputation compared with the fuel mix one. The imulsion tube jet is deeper in the hole with a smaller thread and the wider short thread at the end of the hole is for the so called deep idle jet.

@ fourex Thanks for this link I will be getting bits sent now I have this. 

The Climber did have the CS version fitted and it´s also stated in the manual I got with it. 

It´s the idle emulsion tube that I have in 68 and the deep idle jet that´s missing so I´ll try some around the 50ish