Best tyres for a beginner on a Fantic 303

pwadz

Any suggestions as to what tyres will be a reasonable purchase for a 303 , only just starting in this hobby so trying to keep costs down , are part worns an option if I can find some.

Advice appreciated

1 hour ago, pwadz said:

Any suggestions as to what tyres will be a reasonable purchase for a 303 , only just starting in this hobby so trying to keep costs down , are part worns an option if I can find some.

Advice appreciated

As no one else can be bothered I will answer you   If you do not think you will be keeping the bike then find some part used on Ebuy....For the rear tyre Michelin X11.... Dunlop 803 or 803GP and the IRC winner is good in muddy conditions .......the best all rounder is the Michelin and they are more common  for sale used

On the front the best tyre is a Michelin

Any other makes are not proper trials compound tyres for modern competition use  but a cheap new tyre is the Pirelli MT43  but grip levels on rocks and stone is not as good as one of the tyres recommended above that is in a worn condition so its not the best choice.

Edited by oni nou

Tyres are tyres, so the bike is irrelevant and your level of experience is almost irrelevant. I'll stick my neck out and say that the choice of Michelin/Dunlop/IRC doesn't matter at your level, but the Pirelli is definitely a step down (but cheaper). I would guess that a secondhand tyre will cost next-to-nothing (I have a Michelin X-Light rear in my garage that you can have for a tenner) but how it will compare with a new Pirelli is beyond my experience.

Go with a proper trials tire, IRC or Michelin (no experiance of the new Dunlop)

You must remember it's the only thing touching the ground and giving you everything, grip, directional control, stability, power transfer, if you try a cheap imitation or knackered secondhand one you will not know if it's you or the bike that's failing the section !

Trials is still exceptional good value for money and the extra few quid on good tires cannot be underestimated.

Lastly, put a cheaper tire on and when you come to sell the bike the potential buyer will probably knock you for the cost of the tire anyway as they will more than likely want a proper one.