Begining Of The End?

nigel dabster

I know the indoors is different but have we seen the end of the older generation of riders?

Doug and Fuji are clearly never gonna get a WTC title indoors, but outdoors is it past them aswell?

And raga most would agree the bike advantage handed him the title in 2005, but is 2006 different for outdoors?

Bou to win o/s this year?

If they use proper sections outdoors then I think Doug has every chance of lifting another title. If they continue the direction they were going last year however and use more and more indoor sections outdoors, then it will undoubtedly go to one of the Spaniards.

I hope, purely for the sake of the true spirit of trials, that they use natural terrain as they should. Keep the man-made sections where they belong, in the arena. Outdoors should be a test of rider against the differing terrain of different venues and whatever conditions nature throws at them with the weather, not a test of someone's ability to slam up and down 6 foot steps over and over again. Dougie can still give anyone a run on proper sections.

Surprised how many people see one indoor event and that's it!!! time to put the old dog down, same after Sheffield last year.

Spain has just completed the indoor championship, think that has a bit to do with why Fuji and Lampkin, would look a bit rusty compared to the other riders.

Who would be the two highest paid riders in Sheffield arena last night.

Why would Mont HRC pay them more than the other riders if they thought the other riders had a better chance of winning the outdoor championship ?

Of course the young rider will come along and eventually take the place of the older riders, and it will become more evident at the indoors first, Bou, leapt off the last rock and landed on his back, cleaned the section, again in the race Bou takes a big risk and it pays off.

Seen a lot of hot new kids! they come and go pretty fast, the odd one will go all the way, some become legend, some just a flash in the pan.

Bou is impressive, so was Kanichi, and Cobos.

The best person to decide when it's time for Dougie to quit is Dougie and the fact that he's just signed with Montesa for another 2 years suggests that he believes he's got at least one more title left in him. I don't think someone with Doug's achievements and mindset would want to stay in WTC competition if he felt that there wasn't a realistic chance of him challenging for the win at every round. There seems to be a trend towards "indoor outdoors" type sections at many WTC rounds these days and it's obvious that the "rev, splat, repeat" style doesn't suit either of the Montesa riders. If this trend continues and Doug does decide that enough is enough (although I don't think he's there just yet) what would Doug do? Back to the British nationals? I don't think so, at least not immediately. What would be the point?

Bou was truly awesome at Sheffield but he takes big risks and while that worked for him last night, always going for the big clean isn't necessarily the way to win championships. Maybe in the indoor series, but definitely not outdoor. But he's a young lad and with some careful guidance will definitely get to the very top. The Beta people ought to keep Dougie's number handy, just in case.

EDIT: BTW, just noticed this. Had to be done and thanks for Andy for doing it! :beer: High-res versions available at trialsphotos.com you say? How 'bout poster size? :D

Edited by neonsurge

I totally agree with Ishy regarding the Spanish having finished their own indoor series. Its about time we had a British Indoor Championship, if not then the chances of catching up the Spainards is zero.

Fujigas is still only a year older than Raga so he can hardly be considered past it. Dougie was very unlucky last year with his drowning the bike in Spain and the big off in France. Doug is motivated and I honestly believe he has one more outdoor WTC left in him. Raga will find it very difficult to keep hold of his title as Fujigas found out. There's 4 or 5 riders who can win a round and I think Doug can take advantage of this and go on to victory No 8.

I don't think we should write off Dougie, Fuji, Cabestany etc for a while. Their experience at this level is immense and any of them is capable of still winning world rounds (indoor and outdoor) and even championships.

I wonder about the psychology involved at this level of sport.For instance from where we were sitting we could clearly see part of the practice area behind the podium.There was a circle of rocks which included one big, awkwardly shaped stone or tree trunk which all the riders attempted from various angles. Some nailed it first time but it took Doug three goes to get over it cleanly.Was he genuinely struggling or playing some kind of mind game with the others?

Adam Raga's nerve under pressure has been questioned before and I do believe that last night, when he approached the waterfall at the end of the final, he genuinely thought he had already won the trial.His anger and shock at getting a five rattled him as he never expected to have to do more to win.He subsequently lost the race on a very sloppy turn at end of the barrels.

Dougie has proved many times that he can hold his nerve under pressure and I think that had he been in Raga's position last night he would have been more in control.(Hawkestone)!

Losing one round of a championship series is not the end for any of the top riders but it's going to be one hell of a season to watch!

Last years outdoor season, was very close for a good part of the year, it made for a very good exciting season with plenty of talk about the series, once Raga's lead grew and the final result looked more certain, I thought the enthusiasm dropped off.

Again 06 looks like being a good close year for the trials fan, and it could be possible four or five riders go into the final rounds with a chance of being champ.

To make it more interesting lets run a kind of Book, for ex amount of $ we can bet on our favorites, the winners get a set of TC stickers, funds raised go to some youth rider as a bit of TC sponsorship.

Make a bet on your favorite rider along with your choice of youth rider to sponsor.

I think, Raga is able to overcome his nerves perfectly. In 2004 he has hardly reached the final, was the fourth after 1th lap almost always , but he won. He considers a second place like a defeat. He will not concede the Indoors crown.

The Outdoor is an another thing.

Cabes hardly will show something great, I think his best season was last year (except 2002)

For sure the same trinity (Raga, Dougie, Fuji) will be on the World outdoor scene again, interesting in which order they will be placed ?

'Reports of My Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated'

A bit early to be writing the big fella off.

Bou took some real chances, especially on the Fag Packets/Cusworths section in the final - when he came off the first combination of boxes, I thought it was going to be a hospital bed for him and not a podium. He held on to it and won.

It didn't look like Dougie was up for damaging his entire season, only 7 days into it, ditto for Fuji.

Has to be said that there is always going to be an issue for the GB lads having no indoor champs. Maybe a few up and comings could get a blast a the easier sections in the interval at Sheffield ? Would give them some exposure to the big occassion!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Bou cannot possibly win the indoor WTC as he is only a Wild Card rider and as such will only be riding selected rounds. Good news for Raga but bad news for the trials spectating public. Bou would have had an excellent chance for taking the crown.