Evo 2013 250 4t valve clearance guide?

retromlc

Hi all,i've looked through the Beta USA support sight and found the engine manual but can't see the proceedure for doing the valve clearances?

is there a link,i've got the engine loose and free of the rad ready to drop the engine forward in the frame to do the valves but can anybody give me a link to doing it ,cheers in advance.

reason for doing this is,i don't use the bike often but start it maybe once a month to keep it running ,the other day it was a bitch to start,when it did it sounded a bit metallic,like an exhaust baffle was lose but in the engine area not the end section of the exhaust,but for the 10 seconds it ran the engine was whisper quiet,cleaned the plug and eventually it fired up,was still a bit clattery then cleared and was fine,it ran perfectly the whole day started no problems and was perfect,tried starting it today and it won't start.I will be getting a new plug but thought i should check the valves and get the carb out while I'm there and give it a clean,the bike has only done 20 hrs max in the 2 years I've had it and apparently the previous owner was 75 and never used it according to the shop(blah blah blah) but to be fair it was very clean with hardly a scuff anywhere so I think it was under 10 hours before my purchase 

Edited by retromlc

If you've got the '2009-2012 evo 4 stroke engine' manual from the 'Trials Service Manual' section then the procedure is on page 66-67 with the TDC lock bolt instructions in section 4.11 on page 51-52. 

Youll need to rotate the engine to get the piston at TDC...I use someone rotating the back wheel with the chain on to rotate the engine until both sets of tappets are loose. Remove the locking bolt from the front of the engine and you can just see inside the casing to see a notch in the crankshaft. If you remove the thick copper washer from the lock bolt and then screw it back in then it should tighten flush to the casing if the engine is at TDC. If it stops before it tightens flush your not at TDC. 

Once locked you can adjust the tappets... It's a tight squeeze on the inlets but it can be done. The tappets have a rotating bucket on the end which comes into contact with the top of the valve stem. You'll need to rotate and move this around to get the feeler guage to slide under. 

You will also need to carefully bend the end of the feeler guage approx 1" from the end as close to 90deg and also grind away each side of the end of the feeler so it's  only about 5-6mm wide to make it easier to get under the tappet bucket. Don't forget to remove any burrs from the feeler guage after grinding away or the gaps may be too big. 

To be sure you are setting them different to the original setting take a picture of the screw slots on the top of the adjuster in order to compare before and after positions. 

You may find you have to set them and rebuild the engine and see what it sounds like/starts like and then do it again if it's not right. 

Its difficult to judge the pinch of the tappet on the feeler guage as room is limited but from my experience I've gone for a firm pinch on a 2014 300 and it starts and runs fine but there is still a slight rattle compared to our other 2013 300... It may be timing chain noise?

good luck

oh Miner that's harsh,but fair,might be another Retromlc,lot's of us about lol,.i'm heading to Inta  m/C tomorrow to let them do the valves I've prepped it so only 30 minutes labour,the clacking noise maybe a sticky camchain adjuster but I'll get it checked out,i do like the EVO 4t,but for enduro it's  2T all day long

• Haha 1

update,I decided to get the clearances done by a shop so i got the engine free ,but still in the bike and whipped it down to Inta M/C,bought a new plug,and HT lead,charged me for an hour,they said valves were a little tight,got it home pulled the rear shock and stripped the carb,which was clean as a new,but nice to be sure.put it back together and it fired second kick,checked fluids a couple of times.warmed it up and dropped the oil,so all good.

Valves are a little louder now,not whisper quiet,but it was getting harder to start over the last few trials and I just went out and it fired first kick.

Edited by retromlc
  • Like 1