Falcon Shocks

superhondaman

I assume you are referring to Falcon Classic steel bodied trials shocks.

The aluminium cover you see that looks like a seal holder is a push fit in the body. It is actually a dust scraper holder. Tap it off carefully with a punch.

Inside you will see the shock seal carrier held in with a snap ring.

Depressurise the shock and then you will be safely able to remove this snap ring with internal contracting pointed nose snap ring pliers.

From there it is obvious.

PS if the shaft and seal is still OK and you just want to change the oil, you can do it through the hole that the gas valve screws into.

Edited by feetupfun

My Falcon Classic steel bodied shocks are 340mm eye to eye and 100ml of 10WT fork oil per shock works fine. I found that if I used 5WT fork oil there was not sufficient compression damping. If your bodies are shorter you may need a different oil volume (to provide the correct gas space). To work out how much oil to use I measured what came out the first time I changed the oil (none had leaked out).

I don't know what the standard pressure is meant to be but I have found that anything between 40psi and 70psi works fine.