Electrex Ignition for TY-250 A.

Robert Lagana

Just got the new Electronic Ignition (STK-402L) from Electrex.  The old Stator is removed and the instructions say that if you position the plate in the center of the screw holes the bike will run....what I want to know is, is it possible to use a degree wheel to set the timing after you find TDC, or do you need to use a strobe.  Second question;  how do you adjust the stator plate with the engine running when the flywheel is in front of the plate?.

I have that ignition in my 250c, you'll need to mark the cases & flywheel at the correct firing point before strobing it. Chances are centre of the slot will be pretty close, I didn't manage to strobe mine before using it & it was pretty good, some slight pinking under heavy load hill climbing between sections but fine in the sections

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

I know this is a old post, but this is exactly where I am at with my son's TY250 restoration.  My question is about, (" you'll need to mark the cases & flywheel at the correct firing point before strobing it".) Sodo I bring the piston to 3.1mm  (.122") BTDC and somewhere on the flywheel and case put a mark where when a strobe light is used the marks  will line up when timing is correct?  Seems that's what is being said. Thanks.

LaVern 

Chapter 2 page 10 & 11 in the service manual describes the timing process, the case and the flywheel already have alignment marks on them just to the right of the 12 o'clock position.  Timing with a strobe is performed when the engine is operating at 2500 rpm.

Thank you for that information. I did not see any timing marks but that is just about where I marked the flywheel and case with a felt tipped marker.  I picked that area because the nut on the flywheel case lined up very close to the edge of the case. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can see the marks near there. What I did was exactly what I suggested in my previous post.  I brought the piston to 3.1mm BTDC and made a mark on the case and flywheel. Thanks again. 

LaVern

P.S. Is there a way to get emails informing me of replies to my postings? I just happened to come back to this forum and saw a reply was made 7 hours previously.

LJS

Edited by LaVern
  • Like 1

Typewriter wite-out works good to highlight a timing mark, the white shows bright under the timing light.  I may have been looking at the service manual for a newer TY, but there still should be marks from the factory.  Early TY's had extra weights bolted to the flywheel to increase inertial torque,  I rode them both with the weights installed and without, the difference being the engine spools up a little faster if the weights are removed (personally I preferred the performance with the extra weights removed)

On 7/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, LaVern said:

Thank you for that information. I did not see any timing marks but that is just about where I marked the flywheel and case with a felt tipped marker.  I picked that area because the nut on the flywheel case lined up very close to the edge of the case. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can see the marks near there. What I did was exactly what I suggested in my previous post.  I brought the piston to 3.1mm BTDC and made a mark on the case and flywheel. Thanks again. 

LaVern

P.S. Is there a way to get emails informing me of replies to my postings? I just happened to come back to this forum and saw a reply was made 7 hours previously.

LJS

re P.S.

Yes. Go into your account then "settings" then "other settings"