In The Days Of The

Ishy, 75-76-77 were bad years for me, I could never come to grips with the 159 sherpa. And yes I was a whiney bugger about it! Where was the world round? Yes 9th at the US world round sucks even on a bike you hate!

As for the chop sauce trick? No comment!

Vinnie/Lane, it's true!! put some on an old penny and leave it over night, the stuff would bring the dirt off my tykes neck.

We eat the stuff, just think what your guts must look like :P

Try it Lane, use an old tire so there is nothing to loose and do it on news paper in the garage so the wife doesn't twilt thi lug, and see what the compound of the tire feels like in the morning.

Then you tell me if it works or not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there you go Ishy, you have revealed the secret of Yorkshire trials superiority to the world. I'd think twice about another trip to the scottish, you may end up at the bottom of the loch with a stone necktie.

I've had a lot of experence with time machines by the way. I can just see the rollyeye clickable smiles on upcoming posts already but really these are true stories.

We live accross the street from a movie ranch, the Speilberg movie that was a redo of the H.G. Wells story Time Machine was filmed there and we sometimes practice trials in the former sets. We have one section called Morlock's Hand because there was a rubber hand from a Morlock in the section.

Another time I came out my front gate and there was the Back to the Future time macine car parked there. It was being driven and had been built by an advit fan who was hired to drive it in a movie being filmed on our road at the time.

He had build it himself and he was fun to talk to because I have a real part I'd picked up and kept from the real Back to the Future time machine when it was destroyed by the train in the third part of the triligy.

Sadly Ishy, if you remember Doc Brown's grey hair didn't go away during time travel. So you are an old fart here or during time travel!

So, how do you propose we kidnap Raga and take him back in time to be spanked at this Gold Bar world round you are talking about Ishy? Consider this, he can't turn without hopping and everytime he stops to hops and balances he will be scored a five.

Then when he does drop the hammer from a stop like he's used to to spatter, the bike will simply sit there and spin with those of hard tires, insted of hooking up and griping like he is used to. He will make a right pig of himself and make all the young riders of the future ashamed to have him as their world champion.

If you remember, that's been the theme of all time travel movies, how not to screw up the present by fooling around with the past. Having Raga spanked by papa Lampkin, Jay Leal and all the riders of the past would upset the delicate balance of the present. It might upset the cenergy of self esteem, confidence and self worth of todays enthusiasts and cause some unrepairable rif in the time, balance equalibrium. Causing some sort of disaster only Doc Brown could foresee.

I failed to mention that I was there when the Terminator came from the future in T-2. Then in T-3 the Terminator came from the future about 1/8 mile upstream from our house near a group of our training sections.

Didn't see that arrival from the future however! A load of Brits came to the USA and did that film. da buggers!

Funny, I had girlfriend trouble that weekend also! It was her Senior Prom the night before the trial and she insisted that I take her.

So I attended the prom in SFO and afterwards rushed to the airport to fly to Washington the night before the world championship.I competed the next day tired and distracted!

It's a sad day when the US champion can only pull 9th place at the US world round.

Your right Jay, mentorship is a big deal and very, very important. What they can do for you is keep you on track when you lose focus or are facing some trouble. They can also build your confidence, keep you in the bubble and deflect any attacks to take you out of your zone.

In general they keep you honest!

Edited by Mich Lin

Ishy and Jay, I'd forgotton about that whole episode until you dreged it up. That's why I asked you which world round that was Ishy, I had a mental block on it.

That's an example of one of the pit-falls a rider must overcome and a good mentor/minder/coach and team manager needs to keep an eye out for.

Girls are a big distraction for athletes, I know I've made some mistakes in that area.What I lacked was a good mentor/trainer at that time to set my priorities strait and keep an eye on me but didn't have one. That was before minders!

What I should have been doing is training up in Washington a week or so before the event to get used to the terrain. Instead I was in San Francisco until late the night before, which left me tired and gave me no time to prepare for the trial.

Looking back, that was the start of the downturn of my whole career! Being beaten so badly shook my confidence and built the confidence of my competitors. Maybe I never recovered!

That's also the job of a good mentor, rebuilding a riders confidence after a disaster! That's why team Lampkin is so strong, they have a strong family tradition of competition and a lot of experence to draw from.

Dougie would not have had near the success he has enjoyed if his dad had not been around to help steer him. You couldn't ask for a better mentor than Martin Lampkin, he has seen it all, the best and the worst. So Martin Lampkin is well equipted to keep his son on the right track.

I just can't take it lads, I better go rest on the couch a while.

First lap results were Martin on 12 and Marland on 13 vesty 23 Rastus 27 John Metcalfe 20 Courtard 22 Joe Guglieimelli 29 Mick Andrews 28 Lane on 25.

Wouldn't say Martin was running away from the pack after the first lap.

I'll post 2nd lap scores after I take a nap <_<

Results <_< 1 2 T total

Mart 12 + 13 = 25

Marland 13 + 18 = 31

Vesty 23 + 12 = 35

Malc 27 + 16 = 43

Metcalfe 20 + 23 .8 = 43.8

Coutard 22 + 24 1 = 47

Joe G 29 + 19 = 48

Mick A 28 + 23 = 51

Lane 25 + 28 = 53

Don Sweet 28 + 27 .7 = 55.7

So Marland just turned 18 and legal in his first world round pulls off a second place.

Larry Gurley in his first year in trials pulls off 16th place of 23 in a world round.

Comparing ability and skill, not equipment or sections, I am hold enough to have watched what they rode then, still ride against some of the guys from that event, I not only feel today's world round riders are better, but twice as good.

As I drove down to a riding area yesterday with one of the lads who rode that event, I asked him what did he think about today's WR riders, compared with yester years riders, " I watched them ride and thought I can do that, and did,

now I wouldn't even dream of riding one of today's sections".

The event winner also thinks today's riders are miles in front of what he did back the 70's, then again he could have a clue what he is on about.

I also think today's top US champ riders are lot better than the top riders in your day Lane, the sport was in it's first years of world championship, 30 years later they have raised the game, standards, professionalism, and for the top three or four, pay packet.

Great ride by Martin that was his year I believe. Also Marland was on the 4-stroke and placed 2nd at his first world round, he really should have been world champion and was a better rider than Bernie in my opinion.

By the way, is Bernie also a bum with Lampkin, Whaley and other past riders, easily beaten by todays national riders? Just a thought, he was maybe only a couple months younger than Marland!

Interesting topic, who's greater, the 70s stars or todays? In boxing one maybe able to compare but it's always apples to oranges viewing whos better, past champions, present or the future stars.

Even in boxing, social and economic situations change, in trials, rule changes, bike design and tire compounds to name a few variables must be considered. Always, remember the best is the best at any one moment and nobody but nobody can beat them anywhere. To add anytime to the equation is simply, fun bench racing but has nothing to do with realaity.

Are todays stars greater? Who's to say that Gorden Jackson's one point Scottish Six Days is not the greatest ride of all time? We must realize that the best in the world, is always the best in the world at that moment. That's the individual who sets the standard EVERYONE must look up too and compete with under the same conditions.

Are todays MX stars better than Decoster? Remember that Decoster and Lampkin mentored todays MX and Trials stars. Helping then up the ladder quicker and giving them the wisdom to miss some of the pitfalls they personally faced.

If you asked Decoster or Lampkin if todays stars are better than the past, of course they would modestly say yes. Todays riders stand there better only because they stand on the shoulders of the greats of the past. Simply they would not be there if those who went before had not broken the ground for them.

Put todays stars, on MX and trials machines of the past, on the same course and the same rules and they would not fair much better than the riders back then. Even with exposure to the techniques developed afterwards because the stars of back then would simply pick them up and really quickly.

Also remember, sports is like investing, Timing is everything! If you bought real estate a few years ago or gold at $275 an ounce your looking good right now. The same is true with sports, your only young once, go for it while it's your time. You have many years that you cannot compete at a top world and national level and very few that you can.

You can go to college at any age, you can start a successful career easily in your early 30s or late 20's, I did! You can be national or world champion for only a very, very short time, go for it while you can.

The bottom line here is this, American riders WORKED really hard to catch up with and surpass the Europeans in MX, Trials, roadracing and other motorsports. It was only the US trials riders who failed to keep pace and stay up with the world standards. We can stand toe to toe with anyone in the world in just about any motorcycle discipline, except trials. While at one time we could!

There is not one single solitary reason why Americans cannot be back in the top ten again. At least at the US round. Anybody who thinks we can't is a sissy and slacker.

Edited by Mich Lin

Ishy and Jay, I'd forgotton about that whole episode until you dreged it up. That's why I asked you which world round that was Ishy, I had a mental block on it.

What I should have been doing is training up in Washington a week or so before the event to get used to the terrain. Instead I was in San Francisco until late the night before, which left me tired and gave me no time to prepare for the trial.

Looking back, that was the start of the downturn of my whole career! Being beaten so badly shook my confidence and built the confidence of my competitors. Maybe I never recovered!

Mental note to self. Keep Patrick away from San Fransisco.

By the way, is Bernie also a bum with Lampkin, Whaley and other past riders, easily beaten by todays national riders? Just a thought, he was maybe only a couple months younger than Marland!

I have nothing but respect for the riders back then, they were the best of the time no doubt about it, shame you couldn't show a little for riders today who achieved a lot more than you ever did.

Now you go in your twisted way suggesting I called them Bum riders, when I didn't, I said today's rider is better.

<_< I must say that as "A real old bugger" the comments made on this topic are quite amusing - Lane V Ishy - what a contest - I think you guys have way too much time on your hands - Having said that, you both make very good points about the state of Trials - Then and Now - The only thing missing is that World Trials NOW are all Profesional - Totally different from 1975 when I put on a World Round - The Modern Day Indoor Trial is more of a circus and SHOULD really appeal to American spectators who like to sit in the stands and watch a sport in comfort. - The Old Trials were all about endurance and reliablity - Times have changed and I don't think you can compare one generation to another - great riders are just that "Great" - Living in the past too much is only for fools - the History books say it all. - Martin has a a good handle on the sport and while Yes he is very modest - ( see the clip on TC) - Will there ever be another US World Champ - not likely - but that shouldn't stop people like Lane Trying to push the sport in the right direction - In my book anybody that does Anything to help Trials should be applauded not criticised - er ! However Lane - Do you ever proof read your posts? - Dunlap????

Keep it up boys - the year is young.