In The Days Of The

If I proof read them I'd not have time to post! I've put a 3 minute rule on myself per post!

I like your take, the best is the best at their time! Your must realize that Marland and Bernie were paid to ride trials even while they where in High School and were true professionals. I bet todays riders make more than yesterdays men but that's another reason they can put more into the sport.

Todays Americans are better riders than they think they are! They simply lack confidence and the willingness to step up to the plate with a desire to get into the game and work their way up. That's the main differnce between then and now!

There seems solid shift going on with the USA younsters! They seem to have more faith in their future results than the current top US men. Riders like Smage simply need exposure to top level trials as much as possible.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"rider's like Smage simply need exposure to top level trials as much as possible"

Geez, what an amazing concept. I wish I had thought of that Lane. Wait a minute, I did! And I stick to that theory and why the Europeans are ahead of us!

It's just a natural progression in any sport to strive to be better than the best!But, I also believe that a rider's progression can be much quicker if he is constantly exposed to a "higher" level at a younger age.A lot of it is education.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet on this now/then arguement, is that fact that the internet is around now. Even in my day, it would have been so much easier to get information about anything, as well as manufacture your own press and attract sponsors! (eg. G2F does this for Doug)

Cheers, Steve