Strange Noises

neashfella

I have a 2001 2.9 Sherco

When it is stood vertical or leaned to the right side it is fine but when I lean it to the left there is a strange whirring noise that I think is coming from the engine or clutch.

Anyone had this experience before ?????

When I right the bike the noise stops - STRANGE !!!

Erm, you could always try not leaning it to the left :closedeyes:

Its probably becuase when you lean it to the left, you are draining oil away from the clutch plates, as on the Sherco the clutch plates are on the right, and this is probably what is causing the whiring noise. Then, when you right the bike back to centre, the oil drains back, covering the plates, and the noise stops. Absolutely nothing to worry about, so long as you have got the recommended amount of oil in there in the first place.

Edited by martinh

I would be very hesitant to run that bike much, and would do some immediate tearing down to make certain I knew where the noise was exactly coming from.

I lost a top end bearing in Dean's and kept running it trying to sort out exactly where it was. (after Ryan and others said stop and tear down) It made some funny noises as we leaned etc.

I was very fortunate that I did not loose the Jug.

I am not there too hear it, and could be miles off base, but I would urge you to errr on the side of caution, get an experienced hand to lend an ear for a real life check, or commence to tearing down to see what is causing the problem.