1976 UK Ulf Karlsson 247

csd4t

I am in the process of trying to strip this bike and have a few questions.

What are the differences between between VUK and a standard 247?

Flywheel nut LH or RH thread?

Any secret to removing the gearbox sprocket tried heat, currently sitting with heavy duty 3 leg pullers tension up.

Anyone have a clear picture of the swing arm bush/spindle arrangement as the parts list drawing is not very clear?

Cylinder nuts, got one off but other 3 are solid, currently bathing in plus gas?

The bike has been stored for 20 or more years and almost everything is seized

that'll do for now thanks in anticipation from gods own county

I'm thinking the 247 engine covers changed to being the same as the Cota 348 when the Cota 247 UKR came out but I'm not certain.

For the sprocket, if it's on a taper like a 348 sprocket is, use a 100mm disc on an angle grinder. It will fit in there without the disc having to touch anything else. A bigger disc won't. I found that when I got to about 1 mm from the gearbox shaft the remainder of the sprocket sprung apart when a crack formed.

For the cylinder nuts, heat them up with an oxy-acetylene welding flame. If you have a steady enough hand you should be able to get each nut very hot without melting any aluminium. You can buy new nuts easily so don't worry about damaging them

Thanks so far, any ideas with the swing arm? Got the centre spindle out but the tube and 2 outer bushes are seized solid plus there seems to be some sort of o ring/rubber in there judging by the smell!!!!

Also flywheel nut LH or RH thread, managed to get the counter weight off though.

What were montesa thinking of with the gearbox sprocket.......... taper, keyway, left hand locking nut with lock washer maybe they thought the massive power and high speeds would cause problems 

Edited by csd4t

38 minutes ago, csd4t said:

Thanks so far, any ideas with the swing arm? Got the centre spindle out but the tube and 2 outer bushes are seized solid plus there seems to be some sort of o ring/rubber in there judging by the smell!!!!

Also flywheel nut LH or RH thread, managed to get the counter weight off though.

What were montesa thinking of with the gearbox sprocket.......... taper, keyway, left hand locking nut with lock washer maybe they thought the massive power and high speeds would cause problems 

Replacement sprockets don't have a keyway and work fine so yes, it was overkill to have a key.

The swingarm bushes may be rubber isolastic bushings. I have found them in a couple of bikes and got them out by burning the rubber away. This allows you to get the centre bushing out then carefully cutting through the outer steel casing of the bushing with a hacksaw blade. You can replace them with either new isolastic bushings or more conventional steel inner/brass outer bushings