348 gearbox refit

sparkieb

Im starting to rebuild my 348 engine and have refitted the gearbox into rhs crankcase, but my problem is the  gearlever/selector seems very difficult to operate, how do i know its in the correct position before i refit it all. I put the mark on the end of the shaft towards where it should line up with the selector quadrant mark, but it just doesnt seem right. I know it would operate better when the shafts are supported at both ends but my head says somethings not right. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers Mark

Here is the adjustment procedure, with credit to Steve Odell.

This is easiest to do with the clutch removed. Spin both shafts so that all 5 gears can be selected with a minimum of further turning of the shafts. The shift detent plunger and spring must be in place. Set the eccentric in the middle of its range. Now shift down into 1st and release the shift lever. If you see that the shift drum moves (ever so slightly) as you release the lever, then you need to adjust the eccentric. The plan is to have each downward movement of the lever put the shift drum in exactly the correct position. The shift detent plunger should not "assist" in rotating the drum even slightly, after you let go of the shift lever. Now pull the lever up into second gear. Release the shift lever. Once again, you should not see any further movement of the shift drum after you release the lever. If you do, then you are moving the drum too little, or too much, and that is what the eccentric adjusts for.

• Like 1