Sherco 290 '06 Playing Up In The Cold

atomant

Im finding that the '06 290 is playing up rotten when the weather is cold. Until I been riding it for about 20 mins.

As I tow my bike about on a trailer, The weather on sunday was cold freezing fog and I found that when I got to the trial the air filter was a bit damp and frozen a bit. ( even though it was prepared with Air Filter Oil )

Im going to take a spare filter prepared next time kept warm and change them when I get there. See if that helps.

Any body else having similar problems?

Had a similar(ish) problem with my Montesa 315R in very cold weather. It was ok on tickover but ran very lean and had all the symptons of just about to run out of fuel. Turned out to be the carb. freezing up, there was ice on the throttle slide. Like you I had towed my bike to the venue through very cold and damp weather and I think this bought a small amount of moisture into the carb. which then froze up. Squirted some carb. cleaner in through the air intake and this seemed to cure the problem.

Failing that I hear the weather in Oz is very nice this time of year !!

What type of petrol are you using?

I've found that my bike (new beta 125) goes better when I run it on shell optimax because it's a higher octane (I think). In december on a particulary cold day my bike seemed to run lumpy for a while until it warmed up running it on normal petrol.

Don't know if octane boost works or not?

Hope this has helped

Rob

Edited by Beta120690

Joking aside, loads of people used to have bike covers in my previous life, especially for bike racks. I would imagine they would keep the wind chill down anyway.

Leave the engine running on the trailer - it'll be warmed up by the time you get there :closedeyes:

Edited by bikespace

I had problems before xmas when I took my bike to a training day only 5 miles down the road, wouldn't start for ages, I took the spark plug out, warmed it up at the end with a lighter and put it back in and it kicked over 3rd time after that :closedeyes:

Nice one about leaving the engine running on the trailer Hinters.

As they say joking apart I always used to cover my grass track and speedway bikes when on the trailer - mainly to advertise the sponsors I must admit but when you think freezing cold air being rammed at the bike at 70mph for an hour or so you'd be fliiping cold as well !

You could have Breidden Hills MCC on yours Webbie and start a new trend !