Dalesman with PUCH

jimg

I made the below post a couple weeks ago and didn't get any replies.  So, perhaps someone could chime-in on this follow-on question I have.  A friend of mine rode Dalesman trials bikes

(with PUCH motor) back in the early 1970s.  He told me all three of his bikes he had (with the PUCH) all "lost" first gear and that it is nearly impossible/very difficult to fix; I assume what's

happening is that the first gear teeth break off the spline.  He tells me this is a very common problem with the PUCH 125cc motors in the trials bikes.   Besides not riding the bike, does anyone

have a suggestion that could reduce the chances from this happening?  I was thinking of preserving the 125cc PUCH motor and placing a 175cc PUCH motor in the bike.   Thanks.

I recently purchased a Dalesman with Puch motor;  I believe the Trials model.  I've searched the internet intently to find some basic information about the Dalesman and motor, but not finding what I need.  I'm looking for basic service information (or website references) such as oil type and quantity, ignition setting/servicing, fork oil amount, OEM rear shock length, etc.  and where to get Puch engine parts (if needed).  Although I will keep as original as possible, it would be nice to know what, if any, after market items can be installed on the bike, such as carburator upgrade, ignition replacement parts, etc. 

Forks are 35mm, but has no lower fixing points for a lower mudguard. 

Thanks in advance for any replys.

20200108_190218.jpg

20200108_190107.jpg

Edited by jimg
added question

• 1 month later...

On 1/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, jimg said:

I made the below post a couple weeks ago and didn't get any replies.  So, perhaps someone could chime-in on this follow-on question I have.  A friend of mine rode Dalesman trials bikes

(with PUCH motor) back in the early 1970s.  He told me all three of his bikes he had (with the PUCH) all "lost" first gear and that it is nearly impossible/very difficult to fix; I assume what's

happening is that the first gear teeth break off the spline.  He tells me this is a very common problem with the PUCH 125cc motors in the trials bikes.   Besides not riding the bike, does anyone

have a suggestion that could reduce the chances from this happening?  I was thinking of preserving the 125cc PUCH motor and placing a 175cc PUCH motor in the bike.   Thanks.

I recently purchased a Dalesman with Puch motor;  I believe the Trials model.  I've searched the internet intently to find some basic information about the Dalesman and motor, but not finding what I need.  I'm looking for basic service information (or website references) such as oil type and quantity, ignition setting/servicing, fork oil amount, OEM rear shock length, etc.  and where to get Puch engine parts (if needed).  Although I will keep as original as possible, it would be nice to know what, if any, after market items can be installed on the bike, such as carburator upgrade, ignition replacement parts, etc. 

Forks are 35mm, but has no lower fixing points for a lower mudguard. 

Thanks in advance for any replys.

20200108_190218.jpg

20200108_190107.jpg

Hi here,  nice to see one's made it into preservation,  it was generally agreed that whilst willing, the Puch  gearing was certainly not trials friendly. 

for maybe's help in your quest, try Classic Motorcycle Forum which has assisted in the past with answers and advice;

Look under the British bikes thread.

All the best

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, Twinshockandy said:

Hi here,  nice to see one's made it into preservation,  it was generally agreed that whilst willing, the Puch  gearing was certainly not trials friendly. 

for maybe's help in your quest, try Classic Motorcycle Forum which has assisted in the past with answers and advice;

Look under the British bikes thread.

All the best

Hello,

I'm rather late on the uptake here, but I have a couple of links that may be of assistance if your are still looking.

For Puch parts I have used https://www.rbo.at/ in Austria. They seem to have pretty much everything. 

For manuals, this website is very useful http://www.puch-m125.org.uk/

Wheels, engine and front forks were all Puch M125 items. Though yours looks to have had uprated forks. 

I have an Amal carb on mine, as apposed to the standard Bing, but apart from that and the forks they look very similar. I've never seen 2 with the same exhaust either! Mine also has a Beamish front wheel, but I wouldn't call that an upgrade, the front brake is terrible! 

IMG_20200521_203658.jpg

• 7 months later...