GG TXT280 hard starting - especially when hot

BrettD

3 hours ago, BrettD said:

Final update. Let me start this out with, I was way off about all my issues I though I had...

It all came down to something that is very disappointing from a QC issue from manufacturing. After going through all my above mentioned issues, I noticed it was still at times difficult to start, and especially when hot. It would load up and smoke like a civ! I would be really surprised if it was muffler packing being that soaked so I started to look at the bike some more. 
By the time I really dug into it, the bike had 5 hours on it. I had also noticed a lot of transmission fluid was missing and was not leaking. So I start to suspect possibly miss installed crank seals. I remove the motor from the bike and ship it to a midwest GasGas expert. Prior to sending it to him, I discussed the issues I was experiencing over the phone and he speculated at a few things and the worst case. We agreed on him splitting the cases, tossing crank bearings, seals and case gasket and call it a day. 
Upon disassemble, crank seals, bearings and case gasket were all intact and looked to be good. After further inspection, he found porosities in the cases! The motor had been sucking oil through tiny holes in the case!!! Considering that this is a"legacy" pre bankruptcy bike, there is no support for it. 
So the fix was to machine out the questionable areas and epoxy it. CRAZY!!

He sent the motor back to me and I got it back together. Thing starts with ease, doesn't smoke and runs great. 
Its too bad but I guess everyone gets a dud every now and again..

I might sell the bike at this point but don't really know what to sell a like new 18 TXT 280 racing for. 
Any price guides? I don't know if the issues I have fixed devalue the bike more. 

Thanks!

Sale price, try offering it at the price you paid originally, you can always lower the price if a prospective buyer seems really keen. Just hope not too many of them  have seen your post on the repair. Now that you have resolved the issue why not just enjoy the bike and ride it. I doubt the porous casings were due to any bankruptcy more down to poor casting which would be done in batches. Why did your engine man not get the cases welded, I would imagine the cases are now weakened as epoxy won’t be adding strength. 

51 minutes ago, section swept said:

Sale price, try offering it at the price you paid originally, you can always lower the price if a prospective buyer seems really keen. Just hope not too many of them  have seen your post on the repair. Now that you have resolved the issue why not just enjoy the bike and ride it. I doubt the porous casings were due to any bankruptcy more down to poor casting which would be done in batches. Why did your engine man not get the cases welded, I would imagine the cases are now weakened as epoxy won’t be adding strength. 

The builder said that its not a bankruptcy thing why the cases were questionable but has seen multiple cases like this from multiple batches of bikes. I questioned if replacing the case instead of repairing was suggested and he said he has repaired multiple like this and it does comprimise the integrity of the case at all. Its in a non structural area... That being said, he has even seen replacement cases with the same issues and was very confident in epoxy as a repair solution. I left it up to the professional to make the decision. He could have sold me snake oil but he saved me about 1000 dollars with this repair. 

Reason for selling?  Because I have lost interest in the bike after these past few months. Im sure the bike is good but it has just left a sour taste in my mouth. Additionally now that Ive gotten into trials, Ive discovered Im in Sherco land and would purchase one of their new bikes. There seems to be a lot more local support and shops that sell them locally. If I had done my research before I bought this one, I probably would have done that from the start. 

Its just a tough call as I have this new bike that has me jaded... 

16 hours ago, BrettD said:

The builder said that its not a bankruptcy thing why the cases were questionable but has seen multiple cases like this from multiple batches of bikes. I questioned if replacing the case instead of repairing was suggested and he said he has repaired multiple like this and it does comprimise the integrity of the case at all. Its in a non structural area... That being said, he has even seen replacement cases with the same issues and was very confident in epoxy as a repair solution. I left it up to the professional to make the decision. He could have sold me snake oil but he saved me about 1000 dollars with this repair. 

Reason for selling?  Because I have lost interest in the bike after these past few months. Im sure the bike is good but it has just left a sour taste in my mouth. Additionally now that Ive gotten into trials, Ive discovered Im in Sherco land and would purchase one of their new bikes. There seems to be a lot more local support and shops that sell them locally. If I had done my research before I bought this one, I probably would have done that from the start. 

Its just a tough call as I have this new bike that has me jaded... 

Part exchange?

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2020 at 4:15 PM, d2w said:

There are plenty of posts here about the starting procedure which is REQUIRED with GGs. Don't just try and try like it's a dirt bike as you'll frustrate yourself and likely break the internal starter mechanism.

Verify that the choke is ON if it's cold. Second gear. Roll back until it stops (at the top of the stroke). Clutch in. Foot on lever. Push back until slight resistance is felt. Now, kick firmly and through until it stops at the footpeg. No throttle if the choke was on, but a little throttle if you were starting from warm/hot and the choke was off (as opening the throttle defeats the choke).

If it doesn't start then repeat the entire procedure, especially the roll-back to position the piston.

Good luck.

Hey I have a '17 EC300. I know its probably a little different from a trials bike but i was willing to try anything because the hot starts just wasnt working. This is the most bizarre thing I've ever tried but it worked. Thanks for the info!