Scorpa Easy Flywheel

barrybaines

Hi i`m stripping my engine on my easy 1997 but have come to a bit of a dead end on the flywheel side due too not being able to get hold of the correct puller! however the clutch side so far is coming a part just fine and the reason for the strip is too have a look at the gearbox ( having selector troubles) does anyone know if the box is all on one side or will i need too remove flywheel etc. and if so any tips? apart from the obvious go get the right tool!

Barry

I was reading an article on how to do these for a motorcorss

http://www.ericgorr.com/twostktech/2techlowrebuild.htm

excellent guy and article,

anyway,... im completely rebuilding a 1993 GG engine, and the whole gearbox and every thing stayed in the right hand casing, as it would with the motorcross. which is the opposite to the flywheel side??

....its late... :P

..but i removed the flywheel and split the left hand casing to get me to it, i got my flywheel puller from <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central>. could give them a phone?

Mat

Cheers for that i`ve tried all sorts including heating it up a three way puller etc etc so now its monday again i`m gonna bite the bullet and phone peter knight and see how much he wants for the tool or he may even lend me one? gotta be worth a try :P

Hi, Ive got a Scorpa Works 295 and have had exactly the same probs as youve got ....selector problems.

My dad made a puller up for it (used welder etc) and once the bike was stripped i found the gears were shot. I bought the bike off Ebay and it jumped out of gear when put under load. Ive got manuals etc and loads of info on the engine, gearbox etc after spending about 12 hours scanning the internet. If you need any info just ask.

Matt (kent)

just be careful,

i nearly welded up a tool, but then it came free,

that article i posted before is very good and tells you how to crack the engine,(altho it does say use a tool)

you just need to keep the gap equal around the casing, be careful with wedges, you could heat the casing that holds the main bearing to expand it and release the crank?

dont expose the main bearing to direct heat or you will burn all the lubrication away,

have you got the flywheel off yet? cos that above doesnt really apply till you have.

Mat

yep now all apart and luckily for me all the gears are fine the only thing i can see is slight wear and a slight twist on the selector fork for 2nd and 4th which puzzles me a bit but kind of makes sense as my problem was selecting 4th 5th and 6th so maybe because its not going into fourth this is stopping me getting fifth and sixth? at least i hope this is the answer as i really don`t want to do this twice!

Any joy finding out what your problem is. Im just waiting on a gasket set for my Scorpa 295 then will start rebuilding. Ive ordered new gears as me dad said they were worn but someone else told me that they are ok and eouldnt be causing the problem. Howeever the gear shaft is bent on the outside of the crackcase but spins freely and is straight on the inside of the crank plus the pawl assembly (linked to end of shaft inside crank) spins at 90 degrees to the centre of the crankcase if you know what i mean. I think this may not be turning evenly which may be the reason why my bike was jumping out a gear when put under load. Have you checked the shifter drum where the channels are for the two selector forks, or the index shim. Was the return spring for the gear lever intact and working. This may be no help at all to you but i dont know too much, just what ive been learning scanning the net trying to sort mine out. Lastly the teeth ends on your 2nd gear on the lay/clutch shaft well small as mines not as squared off as the rest of the gears and 1st gear which is attached to the shaft the teeth look a bit pointed but someone from SWM told me that they are like that when noew but are case hardened...not worn.

Hi mate had mine completely apart and am also awaiting gaskets and seals before the rebuild! my complete gear box is as new would you believe at first i thought i had a slightly twisted selector fork but later tests on a flat surface and feeler gauges proved otherwise so i seeked info from the wonderfull peter knight while ordering my gaskets and he said he wasn`t surprised i hadn`t found anything but just too check step by step as it goes back together and most importantly to check the pawl shaft is straight as this is a common problem if it has bent even slightly? we`ll see fingers crossed

And you say your gear shaft is bent do you mean the actual output shaft? if so the chain wobble on that would be to me a main contender for knocking it out of gear

HTH Barry

S*%t yes you should definatley replace that one that will most likely not correctly select the gear it will prob just push the index shim (bit attached to selector drum spring loaded tensioner) to just rest on a high ridge potentially between gears therefor under load the tensioner will pull it either way out of or if lucky into gear I would say this is your main problem

HTH Barry