How Long Before A 280 Climber Is Properly Warmed?

zanx

Coming up against a strange problem when running the Climber (just to make sure it still works) in the it starts fine, runs fine, revs ok (hangs a little but I suspect this is the flywheel weight slowing throttle response) but if I leave it to tick over, it loads up and dies, flooding the engine and making it impossible to start. I'm thinking that maybe 5 mins isn't enough to get it properly warmed and that it's just loading up because of that. Any ideas?

Plug is brand new by the way, looks the perfect tan colour.

Martin, carb strip is on the cards, it's not been used very much at all from new so maybe it has perished.

Chris, about 2 minutes.

Doesn't smoke much really. Actually come to think of it, Martin's explanation makes alot of sense, I saw some petrol dripping from somewhere on the carb after it stalled, couldn't see where it was coming from though.

Well, just had it apart (yes at 2am) and it was pretty skanky, lots of green stuff on the brass bits and generally green stuff everywhere else. The prongs that hold the left hand float were a bit off line and stopping the float from rising and falling freely. The needle and needle valve were manky too. Cleaned out the valve with fine wire wool and did the same CAREFULLY with the needle, taking care not to damage the rubber on the end. It now seals beautifully, I can blow down the fuel pipe, tip the carb till the floats drop onto the float valve and it all stops.

Looking forward to seeing if it made any difference.

All jets blown out with an airline. Made bog all difference, the bike is still loading up and spewing oil and petrol out of the pipe before sputtering to a standstill. Sounds like fuel starvation when the engine dies but it could well be the opposite.