2010 evo tuning

Tomm156

Hi all, 

don’t feel like my new to me evo 290 is a crisp as it should be 

I’m going to check the float level and the clip on the needle position, can anyone tell me what the default position for the clip is please? 

thanks 

If it's a bit sluggish, check that there is no flywheel weight fitted and also that the timing has not been retarded,  Also that it does not have a low compression head, or a thicker/two cylinder base gaskets fitted.  People do these things to slow them down and take the edge off the performance.

Edited by stpauls

Just now, Tomm156 said:

How can I tell if it has a flywheel weight? Is it just a case or removing it?

There will be a black plastic tab sticking out of the engine case (stator), on the left hand side of the engine.  There will also be a thick black "gasket" which is a spacer.

• Like 1

Mine has an external visible spacer plate but no fww. Whip the cover off and take a look inside. Very obvious if ones fitted. 

Also check your air filter is clean and good condition. New plug. Clean carb and air screw setting and pilot is correct. 

The 2010 was a great bike and quite zippy, as later they changed to  softer 300 engine.   If it has a flywheel weight it can be seen to be secured to the flywheel on the right hand side of the engine by two Philips type countersunk screws - that does soften the engine a bit. Those screws may be loctited in so warm the heads before trying to remove and make sure that you have a perfect fitting bit -you don't want to chew the heads up!  

Check the colour of the throttle tube under the  twist-grip rubber, if it is black it is slow acting, if white - fast acting - so you want white if you want more instant response. 

Pilot jet is 48, 125 main, JJH needle, with clip usually in 2nd  slot from bottom -2nd richest.  Depending on conditions, air-screw  around 1.5 turns out from fully in. Obviously you have to make sure that the passages in the carb are clear as if it has not been cleaned the small passages from the air-screw for the pilot air block up.

With a bike of that age, if it is well used, the reed valve petals  on the inlet between carb and engine may be getting week, Boysen ones are good.

Has a previous owner changed the sprockets as gearing up slows response, I have a note saying that it was 11 on front and 41 on rear. If it ever did road trials or SSDT people gear them up (put a larger front sprocket on) for a higher road speed - then use a lower gear than normal in sections.

Hope this helps -let us all know!