Beta Rev 3 alternative ignition

Simba

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a cheapish beta Rev 3 with a botched ignition system incorporating some bits from another bike. The bike is in good condition and I have resolved  all other issues with the bike. 
 To sort the ignition, and get back to original I would need, cdi unit, stator ( type with 2 opposing trigger coils) and coil with bracket. 
now this is going to be expensive, even with used eBay bits. So I am thinking about retro fitting an alternative ignition system. I have found that the beta techno (Ducati energia 6 pole stator ) system, seems to be identical to the modern lambretta 12v system which is financial viable. Does anyone know if it’s possible to retro fit another system cheaply? The main hurdle with fitting an alternative system is will it work with a beta flywheel? or will an alternative flywheel fit the beta engine ? 
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. And if I can sort it many people could benefit!

Stay with standard stuff. Just because it sparks doesnt mean its going to spark at the right time through the entire rev range especially if its not off a trials engine. Getting it to run is one thing getting it to run well is something else.  That said does the electronic system actually advance the ignition as the revs rise? Maybe someone on here knows? Is getting the original unit(s) repaired not an option?

Ideally I would love to but it back to standard, but like I said it’s not financially viable, I would bet better off breaking the bike for parts!
I am an electro mechanical engineer by trade with a good knowledge of ignition systems. Getting the system to fire correctly with the right  advance etc is no problem. The only issue I need to sort is magneto compatibility or adapting. I might just get another complete ignition system and machine the magneto (flywheel) hub to suit the Rev 3 crank. You can get an aftermarket system for under £150 including magneto, cdi/ coil, and stator.

What year is the Rev 3?  I had a 2008 that did not have designed in advance.  If you put a timing light on it, you would see maybe 5 degrees but all no advance ignitions will show that.  An aftermarket company sells a coil/ CDI combo for that bike and I have one as a spare even though I do not have the bike.  I tried it on the bike and it ran the same. At one time I had a 1997 Techno and is showed about 21 degrees of advance. 

https://www.electrostator.com/en/trial/5680-cdi-beta-125-rev-3-200-rev-3-250-rev-3-270-rev-3.html

FWIW, I now have a 2001 Rev 3.   I purchased a flywheel weight that was said to come from a techno and it bolts right on.   It says Ducati right on the weight but I don't remember what is says on the flywheel. 

Thanks for the info chaps. I’m not sure what year my Rev 3 is, it’s a bit of a mixture. The frame number does not give the year of manufacture on my bike. It has the 6 pole magneto with the 6 pole stator (with 2 opposing pick up coils) so pre 2003. My bike actually came with an aftermarket combined cdi /coil, and the previous own had removed the pick up coils from the stator but retained the regulator. The engine runs sweet until you give it max Rev, it then acts like it’s got a Rev limiter.
I have also got the (03-08) 4 pole magneto. I think I have found a 4 pole stator that will work with my 4 pole beta magneto and cdi/ coil, just need to adapt stator back plate. I’ll post how it goes.