Club Membership?

NoTraction

A quick question regarding joining a club or clubs….

There are two or three within driving distance from me, all of which hold periodic events that I will enter. I’m new to all of this having only done one trial so far, is the done thing to join all of the clubs whose trials you enter to show support or should you only join one? I don’t really know anyone in any of them personally although the lads and lasses at North Berks MCC were very welcoming at the trial I entered. They aren’t my nearest club though. Might see a daft question but none are exactly on the doorstep and the nearest one only seems to come together when they are holding a trial from what I can see, it’s not like there is a practice ground or central ‘club hub’ as such as far as I know. 

Whats the done thing? Cheers :)

Do what suits you best.  During the lockdown there were closed to club events so being a member of more than one would have got you more rides.  I think a lot of that has relaxed now.  Our club also had a physical distance limit (also gone) so multiple membership would have not been such a big deal.  Personally I would support the club that you like and enjoy and where you get on with the people.  My club is really good and I try to support them as much as possible.  Some of the good riders (that group does not include me I might say) are multi members and are bothered about scores and so on.  As an ACU member you can enter other (open) events so not a big deal.

If you join more than one club then more than one club gets your subscription fees.  I am sure they are not going to mind that 😁

Thanks Chris,

I wondered if that was the case. There's two possibly three clubs near me I would join, two of which I'm most likely to attend events regularly and one that has a practice area although I don't have any connections there. It's not the cost as it doesn't cost much, I just wondered if the etiquette was to belong to one club only. I'm happy to join more than one to both support them and benefit from them.

I guess where you are based then joining different clubs might allow you to ride different centre events. Someone will probably correct me but North Berks will be in a different centre than Ixion or Wycombe. That would open things out for you. And multi club isn’t a problem.

I hadn’t considered that… I’m not sure I even understand what it means! Do the different clubs belong to different areas then, like darts leagues etc? You can see how green I am, I never even considered that…. If that’s the case! 🧐

Most clubs have a place or area, but there's overlap and no hard borders.  I think at one point I was in 5 clubs at the same time just to enter club-specific events, it didn't cost a huge amount and I was happy knowing I was supporting them ... plus it made things easy to be able to do something every weekend if I wanted to :)

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hughie said:

I hadn’t considered that… I’m not sure I even understand what it means! Do the different clubs belong to different areas then, like darts leagues etc? You can see how green I am, I never even considered that…. If that’s the case! 🧐

The country (well England - note sure about the rest of the UK) is split into Centres. So (for example) South Midland Centre, South Eastern Centre, etc, etc. 
Some trials are totally ‘open’ so it doesn’t matter where your club is based. Most are either ‘open to centre’ (so your club has to be in that centre’, ‘group’ (so a selection of clubs in that group - the Meteor Group in the South Midland Centre is an example) or ‘closed to club’ (so just for members of that club).

You’ll see what an event is from the supplementary regs on the ACU website.

But per earlier you can join more than one club.

Hope that makes sense!

• Thanks 1