Gaunt Suzuki TC120 info

Edd

Hi,

I just joined up. I have restored two Suzuki TC120'S. A 69 one and a 71 one. I was quite fasinated to read the information about the Peter Gaunt ones and others. Having played about in the rough and in woods on the normal TC I was well impressed, I  would love to play about on a trials version. Even sat down on the little TC it pulls well in low ratio and climbs well. I would like to build one and have a chat and pick the brains of someone who has one or knows about them. I have kind of read all I can find on the net. Specifically,  do you need the T200 triple tree as well as the forks?,  or is it the b120 tree. Also I believe there are alternatives.

I tried to contact a guy on here with one who has only posted once. 

Cheers Edd (middle name, as too many Mike's 😁

My brother sometimes rides a Blooper special some of which we had as schoolboy competitors. The engine is the one he won the 1969 schoolboy scrambles championship at that time it was housed in a pressed steel K80 frame but soon after my dad bought a tubular frame which was made by a Mr Davis for his lad but he went on to make him a better one. It was using this that I won the YMSA trials championship. At the time it had a 17 inch rear and 19 front. It now has Fantic 125 wheels forks and swing arm. My dad had it bored to 128cc using a piston from the super six twin and now it is 132cc which is helpful on hills as it does lack omph. We have never had the high and low speed box as it's never been used on the road (did do a road trial once, but trailered it between sections). It's a fine little bike, bit wide and short and suits a learner rider and ours has seen many of these. The later Student is almost identical and often a good source of spares

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting back to me with that information teamferret. I need to get a bit more familiar with the forum.  I had read the part about the T20 piston. Sounds a good upgrade. The TC engines are pretty hard to get hold of in the UK. A seized one at DK at the moment on Ebay. Lots missing. Interesting modufications you mention there. I am a bit of a nut keep going for these USA spec bikes with price of parts and shipping. I aslo brought a K15 Hillbilly back from the brink. Again not a trials but early dual sport, if you can call it that. 2 back sorockets. Cute little thing. Thanks. 

Turbofurball,

You lost me, is there a reason for wanting my surname or is it a joke.

There was a B120 engine on facebook recently, don't know if it's still there. I have seen Students on Ebay too and these are virtually identical, the tank is smaller being the only major difference. The Gaunt version used as much as the B120 as possible so a Student is a good starting point

I bought a 1968? Bear Cat, this has the high low box and the steel pressed frame so a good start for a Gaunt replica, it’s about 80% done now just need a suitable tank the the frame can be finished and powder coated ready for the final build.

work done,
Engine rebuild with fresh crank form a uk bike, I used a +1.5mm piston taking it out to about 125.
New GSX 125 forks with home made top yoke.
Steering angle reduced by 4 degrees 
A100 front hub Honda Cub back hub laced onto alloy rims
Swing arm extended by 40mm.
Plus much more!

3952A1F3-D245-4D41-97FD-CC3F36A87FCC.jpeg

25F9FD3B-C11D-4BE8-8F27-F122545524CA.jpeg

2FD1F4F7-DAEC-4DB5-8C55-B465CC9E29EB.jpeg

Thanks guys.

Turbofurball, ok I got you now. Now my second name is much more fun.

Teamferret,  thanks, I have been looking at the B120's and as you say lots of parts. I really do want to do a dual ratio TC120 engine. Or KT120 (almost the same). My early TC has a KT and the later one has a TC stamping with bigger airbox and slightly different porting and coils.

Ikb, Now that is great. Just what I am very interested in. Very impressive. Thanks for posting the photos and giving those details of what you have done.  I have my eye on a bearcat kt120 frame but it is a bit expensive. I will try and negotiate. Also found a second swinging arm. My word, that crank was bad. My first TC was solid. Had to drill out the piston crown and carefully chisel out the rest. Manage to do it and save the barrel.

Do you mind me picking your brain a bit more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Edd said:

Thanks guys.

Turbofurball, ok I got you now. Now my second name is much more fun.

Teamferret,  thanks, I have been looking at the B120's and as you say lots of parts. I really do want to do a dual ratio TC120 engine. Or KT120 (almost the same). My early TC has a KT and the later one has a TC stamping with bigger airbox and slightly different porting and coils.

Ikb, Now that is great. Just what I am very interested in. Very impressive. Thanks for posting the photos and giving those details of what you have done.  I have my eye on a bearcat kt120 frame but it is a bit expensive. I will try and negotiate. Also found a second swinging arm. My word, that crank was bad. My first TC was solid. Had to drill out the piston crown and carefully chisel out the rest. Manage to do it and save the barrel.

Do you mind me picking your brain a bit more.

Ask away

Thanks.

Is the bottom steering yoke/ tree from the bearcat?

Is there any reinforcement were you cut the back the rear mudguard area?

Re: steering angle change, I can't see how you changed it. 

Is there any particular year for the forks you used?

Wheel sizes?

Appreciated. 

Thanks. It is the pressed steel one I would be after. I take it that your brother has the tubular one. Do you know what other bits he has. Particularly interested in engine parts. One at DK with left side missing and no pot with seized crank. Also have a friend who is restoring one too. Both mine are finished after lots of parts chasing. 

I am on with a house move and not had time to read the etiquette on here yet. Are PM's allowed. Again not had time to have a good mooch but see lots of people have a handle rather than own name. Now that makes me sound old. I am. 🤣

Hi,

The triple clamps are standard lowers with a home made top.
The forks are GSX 125, they were brand new old stock genuine Suzuki I may have the part number somewhere. However they look better than they perform! Really they are too long but the sliders are too short giving only 4” of travel, the springs are too hard so I have some borrowed TY175 springs in at present and I have extended the damper tube to increase travel. I plan to extend the sliders and fit a decent mudguard bracket on.

Wheels are 18 and 21.

The photos are before the steering angle change.

Where the rear frame is cut it is only the single skin bit so no reinforcing needed, I have added more welds though.

Ian

Thanks for that information Ian. Sounds like you are quite a bit further on now.

So, if obtainable the T200 forks would be well worth getting hold of to simplify some of the problems. 

Cheers Edd