First Classic Bike Owner/Restorer

Buns

Hello from the sunny side!

Care to post up some photos of your bike?  Going outside of the major manufacturers might mean you have to make some replacement parts yourself, but nothings beyond possible if the bikes complete and not been dumped in a riera for a few decades ;)

Trapeazartist, the link posted by Esuark is almost exactly like mine, but the gearbox/engine cover is a two piece and that my tank was chromed on the flanks rather than painted silver.

So, ROA was a Spanish brand based in Madrid, that made motorbike, side cars and 3-wheeler vans that only survived for 15 years (1952-1967). Besides the Hispano Villiers engine and the Albion gearbox, bverything on the bike was made by them (chassis, handlebar, levers, hubs, rear light, saddle etc) so I can´t source replacements from other more commonly available spanish brands. The only other branded bits are the Artes (Barcelona) headlight glass, Leonelli (Barcelona) horn, the bar mounted lightswitch (which is period, but I suspect isn´t original because the one mounted on the headlight was bypassed) and the Avis speedo. 

Concequently, as Turbofurball as already rightly pointed out, finding replacement parts has been a pain in the backside. Although I have some abilities with a lathe/mill/welding torch, I´ve no equipment, and since I don´t plan to live permanently in Spain, I don´t want to invest in anything I can´t get into a suitcase!

Unfortunately, the owners son can´t ride and doesn´t care about bikes, so it was dumped in a field in Galica for 40 years or so. For those of you unfamiliar with Spanish geography Galicia is much more like the UK than our common perception of Spain. Its extreemly humid and it rains alot! For example it is now 12:00 and the sun has yet to break through the fog. So there´s a bit of corrosion on some of the parts...

The handlebars cracked, the lever bent, the headlight glass and speedo shattered, the tank dented, the frame bent and the centre stand twisted out of shape, seat springs snapped.. But otherwise she´s in good nick.

As you´ve seen, a restored one goes for 2,500 €, so thats my target budget...

05 16 2021.jpg