Hawkstone World Round 2006

bikespace

Just thought I'd start a thread where people could make suggestions for improvements which would make Hawkstone even better than it was last year.

I know a lot of the organisers are on here, and I've no doubt if we have some valid suggestions they will make every effort to improve things.

My first one, from an observers point of view would be to rope off the spectator area.

Probably our biggest hassle of the day was stopping spectators coming round the back and ending up stood between the ends flags etc.

Not particularly the spectators fault, it's natural to want to get a decent view.

Maybe try to separate the sections a little more, if at all possible - Around 8,9,10 was very crowded as they were right next to each other.

Would be better if spectators can get to at least 180 degrees of the section.

Edited by bikespace

i was very suprised we didnt get moved on i think it was section 3 maybe 4 i may be wrong, there was a big step on it.

I was sitting right next to the step they were going up amazing view :D

Dougie even spoke to me and said 'im just trying to get out of the way of this bloddy i**iot' fujigas ;)

must have had the best seat :blink:

James

Between sections the riders need a clear run. Last year on Doug's second lap people flocked to see him at each section then got in his way when he tried to get to the next.

Firstly he shouted "mind your backs please!!"

Then when he got a bit more wound up ;) he revved his 4RT instead of shouting.

Made a few people jump :D

It sort of defeats the object when you cheer Doug through a section then get in the way which could cause time penalties

The World round is a hell of a problem from an organisational point of view. Personally I think Mart, Jake and the team did a superb job. By its very nature Hawkstone is difficult to get around and unless the riders can be helicoptered the crowds are going to get in the way !.

From a sponsors point of view my company Homemaster Removals sponsored section 2 (we plan to do the same again this year) and I must say the organisers were terrific to work with and made us feel very much part of the scene. Both Mart & Jake were very approachable and this was very much appreciated by myself and trials mad sons.

Anything to make it a better weekend this year ? Alexz & Ross one & two (though not necessarily in that order !)

Keep em coming, but only Bikespace's gets a look in at the mo.

And that is not too easy to overcome, the tape was set out well

after the ends markers, like an exit corridor, but the individual terrain / section determines how much can be done.

Tell the specs to bu88er off :-)

There is only so much "changing" that can be done to the landscape these days without upsetting the eco warriors or the planning people.

I do think a beer tent on the Sat night may lead to trouble, by a MINORITY of course. This is supposed to be a family event.

Stu

Cota Kid Posted Yesterday, 03:12 PM

A bit of entertainment on the Saturday night would be good. A big beer tent - with decent reasonable priced beer. A bit of live music or a good DJ.

Some entertainment sounds good.

Also the trade stands, beer tent etc should be moved out of the security area, so that they are available for the whole day, especially on the saturday for the folks that are camping.

Basically poeple need somthing to do after the paddock is closed on the saturday night. :chairfall::chairfall:

Traders require some security as most will not want to stay with the stand all night.

Trials riders usually good at entertainment any way, the 5 that got away, the giant 6ft step (2ft really) the "I got the only clean of the day" tale etc etc.

just like fishermen.

Im sure Andy (Trials Central) will be sorting something out for TC readers.

There are obviously folk on this topic who weren't there last year so to fill them in...

I ran a bit of publicity on the site as to a Trials Central "Party In The Park" on the campsite. It was initially aimed at forum members, but I underestimated the popularity of the site. We organised a decent sized tent for the numbers I expected. Even on the Friday night there were over a hundred turned up. It was a great night - the weather was kind so all the adults were outside enjoying themselves while we were showing Trials DVDs on a big screen inside the tent that the kids loved - and kept them amused.

Saturday night was 2-300 people. Still a great night with a few downers like folk stealing and freeloading the free drink both Trials Central and our supporters had put up, but overall an undeniable success.

It was a first and lessons were learned - particularly around the freeloaders and the very small minority who tried to steal. I will be running something this year, but it will most likely be more closely tied in with the organisers to take advantage of their security - i.e. only open to either forum users and people who book access in advance so I can ensure it's a party for Trials Central users and not just anybody who happens to pass by. More on this to come.