EPure Race 2022 to 2023 motor controller differences...

RogueGeek

Has anyone ridden the new '23 model back to back with a '22?  There's some indication that the maps are significantly improved in terms of how fast the electric motor spins up and spins down.  It seems like it may be slower, like they added some virtual rotational mass to the motor via the controller. 

This review (at minute 11:00) shows what appears to be a slower rev up and spin down of the electric motor, much like what I experience on my Gas Gas:  

I'm interested what the '23 is like relative to the '22, as I have struggled on my '22 Race with maintaining traction in loose conditions due the motor spinning up and down much more quickly as compared to my GG.   Any info, experience, or insights regarding the difference would be very appreciated.  Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, RogueGeek said:

Has anyone ridden the new '23 model back to back with a '22?  There's some indication that the maps are significantly improved in terms of how fast the electric motor spins up and spins down.  It seems like it may be slower, like they added some virtual rotational mass to the motor via the controller. 

This review (at minute 11:00) shows what appears to be a slower rev up and spin down of the electric motor, much like what I experience on my Gas Gas:  

I'm interested what the '23 is like relative to the '22, as I have struggled on my '22 Race with maintaining traction in loose conditions due the motor spinning up and down much more quickly as compared to my GG.   Any info, experience, or insights regarding the difference would be very appreciated.  Thanks! 

maybe this one of the video mounts the opcional flywheel

Most people praise the traction of the EMS, me included. The only issue I have is that it can spin up sharply if I get it hung up on a slippery root or something. In that situation I think the issue is that the wheel can easily spin up to 40mph whereas a petrol bike in first or second gear wouldn't go above 10mph. That leaves a lot of momentum to be disposed of before the tyre can grip again. I think a speed limiter on green map would be a big help.

Good thoughts, thanks!  It is certainly in loose conditions where I have trouble.  The bike will lose traction ever so slightly, be it on roots or rocks, and the rear wheel will accelerate quickly, very sharply.  The wheel spins and all traction is lost.  On the petrol bike, the inertial mass of the flywheel keeps the speed of the rear wheel from accelerating too quickly when traction is lost, and find that I have a much easier time maintaining traction in those marginal situations.  While I have traction, the EPure is incredibly smooth and forgiving, and a blast to ride.  The green map does seem to help a bit, but I find that it does not have enough grunt for other situations, so I have been using the blue map.  Still hoping to hear from someone who's had a chance to directly compare the '22 with the '23, to see if there's a notable difference in how the bike performs under the conditions we've been discussing.  Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I just rode both back to back last night (both in Green). The 23 seems less sensitive for the first maybe 1/4 or 1/3 throttle turn, then the power ramps up at the end. This makes throttle control easier when you are going slow, tight turns, etc. I have a 22, I don't think the throttle is "too sensitive", but I would say the 23 seemed a little easier to regulate throttle.

If I try it again, I'll try it on blue.

Interestingly, last night I also had the chance to ride a '22 and '23 Race back to back!  Were we at the same practice session near Oregon City?!

I very briefly rode both bikes in blue, with tick over enabled, and agree with your assessment.  Additionally I felt that there was more virtual flywheel in both spin up and spin down of the motor.  Overall I felt it was a good improvement, and would have to ride the '23 a bunch more to see if it would get me past the traction management issues I have with the '22 model.  

Somewhat related, I recently watched this Stark Varg video, where they describe how power, (virtual) engine braking, (virtual) flywheel weight, and traction control can all be controlled by the owner.  I would like to openly invite Electric Motion and Mecatecno to take the same approach with their electric trials bikes by enabling owners to control these 4 capabilities in some manner.  

On 4/26/2023 at 4:59 PM, RogueGeek said:

Somewhat related, I recently watched this Stark Varg video, where they describe how power, (virtual) engine braking, (virtual) flywheel weight, and traction control can all be controlled by the owner.  I would like to openly invite Electric Motion and Mecatecno to take the same approach with their electric trials bikes by enabling owners to control these 4 capabilities in some manner.

Looks like you are getting your wish (sort of).  I embedded an official EM video at the end of this page: https://sites.google.com/view/electricmotiontech-com/home/em-epure-race/controller

All new specs of the comp controler should be able to be implemented on older models (2022-2023). If this is not the case, trust in the brand will gradually drop as the client is not sure that their model is modern enough