2017 Sherco ST300

katoom400

Hi Guys,

New to trials (coming from Enduro) so don't want to spend a heap on a first bike, but a buddy has a 2017 Sherco ST300 for sale at a decent price and he keeps his stuff in perfect order.  Anything to look out for on the 2017?  I'm familiar with Sherco Enduro bikes, not the trials bikes.  How do they compare to say GG or Beta of similar years?

I've never owned a Sherco but I've ridden two 300s around that age. Handling was very Gas Gas, felt natural, Beta can turn tighter but tends to push the front and for some riders it can take more getting used to. Engine in between the two a little livelier than a UK Beta but predictable and no where near the instant max torque almost on/off switch feel that a Gas Gas 300 can have, still not ideal for a new starter but things would get out of hand less quickly or less often than they do on a Gas Gas 300. I'm a Beta 250 owner and I'd consider a 300 Sherco in future, or more likely a Scorpa as I prefer the colour scheme.

Edited by totty79

18 minutes ago, totty79 said:

I've never owned a Sherco but I've ridden two 300s around that age. Handling was very Gas Gas, felt natural, Beta can turn tighter but tends to push the front and for some riders it can take more getting used to. Engine in between the two a little livelier than a UK Beta but predictable and no where near the instant max torque almost on/off switch feel that a Gas Gas 300 can have, still not ideal for a new starter but things would get out of hand less quickly or less often than they do on a Gas Gas 300. I'm a Beta 250 owner and I'd consider a 300 Sherco in future, or more likely a Scorpa as I prefer the colour scheme.

Thanks for the great information!  I should have mentioned, I'm not going to be doing "proper" trials competitions.  More play riding and cross training for hard enduro type riding on my 300 enduro bike.  

• Like 1

A 300 trials bike rides nothing like a 300 enduro ... you do you, but most people who hop on a 300 right off the bat sell it quickly afterwards.  For practicing hard enduro techniques a cross trainer would be better, my other half has a Gasgas Pampera 250 and it rocks :)

My neighbor has a 2017 Sherco 300, it rides nice and in my opinion looks really good. It might be a bit of a handful but for a bike to play around on I would rather have too much power than not enough. Only thing I noticed is the radiator is a little "goofy" in my opinion, can't remember exactly why, I think the fill hole was weird and the air filter is a bit tighter than my Gasgas and awkward to change. I'd do it, if you don't like it sell it!

1 hour ago, turbofurball said:

A 300 trials bike rides nothing like a 300 enduro ... you do you, but most people who hop on a 300 right off the bat sell it quickly afterwards.  For practicing hard enduro techniques a cross trainer would be better, my other half has a Gasgas Pampera 250 and it rocks :)

Yes, I agree that a 300 is certainly not needed for any beginner in trials.  I've ridden Xtrainers, and owned many 200 enduro bikes and I know that less is usually more.  However, I would not be competing or doing real proper (tight) trials courses.  I'm working with a budget and what is available in my area at the moment.  So I'm not asking what displacement is best for a novice, just looking for some information about the bike I'm considering.  I would be getting the bike at a good enough price that if I get into trials more and want a different displacement or newer bike, I could sell it without losing anything.   Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Glayne said:

My neighbor has a 2017 Sherco 300, it rides nice and in my opinion looks really good. It might be a bit of a handful but for a bike to play around on I would rather have too much power than not enough. Only thing I noticed is the radiator is a little "goofy" in my opinion, can't remember exactly why, I think the fill hole was weird and the air filter is a bit tighter than my Gasgas and awkward to change. I'd do it, if you don't like it sell it!

Thanks for the info!  I've ridden some modern 300 trials bikes (GasGas and Beta) and while the power is certainly strong, I'm not intimidated by it.  At least not for what I'm doing anyway.