Getting back into trials what to avoid

lurcher_k981

Hi guys im looking to get back into trials after a long time out the last trials bike i had was a brand new 2002 gas gas txt 280 which i loved and was nice to ride but obviously times and bikes have moved on alot.

Im looking to buy a bike between 2010 - 2016 and have been looking at another gas gas a beta evo or a sherco 

so just looking for information off guys that have had or ridden any of these bikes to find out if there's any to avoid for any reason or any that stand out as a really good solid bike they made a particular year

ive had a look threw old posts and got a few bits of info but would just like as much as i can before buying something i may later regret

thanks

Great to hear you're getting back to it, you'll love it - it's a sport that gets better as you age. Or so I'll maintain.

Don't buy a yellow and blue Sherco with the rear fuel tank - what a dreadful piece of machinery that was! Cracking frames, steering stops that didn't so the frame tubes got crushed, QA the Chinese would be proud of. There was almost nothing nicely made on them. Rode Ok when it was running. They were around 2013. Totally put me off Sherco frankly, I plan on never owning another.

The Betas are really solid. Well made, very few serial issues although just check the particular year you're interested in. Great turning circle, somewhat mellow engine response compared to some bikes which is probably going to be helpful. I've had a couple and couldn't really fault them. They just work, and keep on working. Rear mudguards are expensive and some people find them fragile. I replaced the steel bolts with nylon bolts or cable ties and never damaged a guard in around 700 hours of crashing. The front mudguards have a plastic bridge which is guaranteed to fail but a GasGas guard & bridge fits.

GasGas are a bit of a perennial favourite for a lot of people, but I've always been a bit nervous as they age. The gearboxes are very elegant, but tend toward a little delicate as far as I'm concerned. Lovely clutches though, and the rest of the bike seems good. I was always a little nervous about the relatively exposed radiator - I could see myself chucking it onto something hard and destroying it. Most other brands moved to a radiator protected within the frame some time ago. Last one I had was a 2007 so pretty out of date info perhaps.

I've just moved from Beta to TRS and am very impressed with both the build and the ride, but they are getting a bit too recent for your aim.

With the exception of the yellow peril I'd probably just say go with the lowest hour bike you can find. They all have some "personality" but the number of hours on the bike is the biggest differentiator in my opinion.

• Like 2

Avoid buying an obscure bike. I was eyeing this 90's Fantic near me because it is clean, very low $ and approriate for the basic plonking I do but research revealed parts availablity is almost nil. I then bought a '10 EVO and although it is considered ancient (as far as EVO's go) I'm very happy with it.  

image.png.e439f006d492c9e591c0058cb56deeb3.png

Edited by PAULIE
  • Like 2