2022 shock settings / 2023 comparison

PNWer

I just rode a 2022 (mine) and a 2023 EPure Race back-to-back. The shock on the 2023 seemed a little more active and lively. I'd love to upgrade, but I wanted to start by trying to adjust my shock.

Has anyone else played with adjustments on the 2022?

Any recommendations? (specifically to try to get closer to the Reiger feel)

EM's marketing literature says, "New linkage ratio for 2023 improve rear-suspension performance and increase rear wheel grip in all situations."  Maybe that's what you are feeling?

When you look at the part numbers for the dog bone and rocker, they are unchanged from 2022 to 2023.  Perhaps the 2023's Reiger shock is a different length?  Of course, it's possible they changed the swingarm or frame but I think that's unlikely and I did not bother to look up those part numbers.

2022 12TC02O-30108-01-00 $113.94 EM-RIGHT TIPPER

2022 8TC020-30111-00-00 $121.75 EM-REAR SUSPENSION LINK (2020-2021)  Units 2

2023 12TC02O-30108-01-00 $113.94 EM-RIGHT TIPPER

2023 8TC020-30111-00-00 $121.75 EM-REAR SUSPENSION LINK (2020-2021)  Units: 2

I guess it's also possible the 2023 dog bone is different but they don't yet have any to sell and that's why the parts lookup says (2020-2021) for that item.  EM's parts lookup leaves much to the imagination.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find a manual for the r16v. It looks like there are a few adjustment screws, but I'm not sure. The manual references only one and calls it a "Hydraulic setting":

image.png.daef8b9a6d72d513647ff4ef0f1d389f.png

I saw the same thing in the marketing info about the linkage... The 2023 I rode was from a guy who works at EM. He said the linkage was the same for 2023, only the shock had changed. If the part numbers are the same, maybe that is most accurate? I've found some other discrepancies in the marketing info... (when the throttle body changed)

Perfect, thanks! Is there a compression screw also? Or is this marketing info not correct as well...

image.thumb.png.97b632296c09cdf28b03062c627a4425.png

I see two more screws on the bottom, but I'm not sure if they are adjustment screws...

image.thumb.png.8d017feb9d5ef101b9ad3ea404cb358d.png

-Thanks

I just downloaded the 2022 manual. 

The red screw at the bottom is compression damping.  There is no mention what, if anything, that other screw (your green arrow) does.

Damping adjusters all work in the same way.  The number of clicks/turns out from the lightly-seated position (fully clockwise) determines the damping. The more clicks/turns out, the softer the damping. 

I generally unscrew the adjuster fully, counting clicks from fully seated, to determine the maximum range of adjustment possible.

Don't be afraid to experiment.  Just make sure you know the starting point so you can return to it if necessary.  Make notes.  A sensitive rider may be able to feel a single click difference.  But start by changing 3-4 clicks at a time so you can notice the change.  Honestly, it's not insane to try the extremes of the range so you know what the adjustments feel like.  Just be cautious when riding.  Don't begin with your biggest obstacle.

EDIT: To develop a feeling for what the clicker do, I recommend Andy Ibbott's "Suspension Education Program."  I talk about it a bit towards the end of this page: https://www.ossa-efi.com/home/chassis/marzocchi-forks

Edited by konrad
  • Like 1