Going To Hawkstone For The First Time

ruffrider

Hi,

I am planning on taking my lad down to Hawkstone 29/30 July... we missed last year :chairfall:

We want to make the most of the weekend so if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

What happens in the days before, anything happening worth going down on the 28th for ?

What was the campsite like last year - suitable for me and a nine year old ?

Anyone recommend a local/handy <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> or PremierTravel room only kind of place instead ?

If we just went for one day, is it obvious that 30th is preferable ?

What time does it all start and how much earlier should we get there, what's the entrance queing like ?

Would it be wise to carry fold up chairs around so we have something to stand on or are there plenty of good viewing points esp for the shorter kids. ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I went last year and had a great two days. On the Saturday you get great views of the riders as they practice on some special practice areas. They are all relaxed and watch the lines taken by the other competitors.

I live fairly local for Hawkstone so travelled each day. The camping area was well used but not overcrowded. I should think if you wanted to spend the evening talking bikes you would find plenty of companions and the camp site is only a few yards from the riders paddock.

The sections are on the face of an old quarry so not much chance of standing on folding chairs. There were hugh crowds last year and getting a good view was quite difficult so an early arrival is advised.

Last year they had an arena where Steve Colley rode his one wheel bike over some very difficult sections, very entertaining.

What these riders can do on a bike is breathtaking so definitely worth the effort.

Plenty of food available and lots of trade stands so you won't be bored.

Allow time after the trial to visit the stands and the queues to get out will be much reduced.

Seriously considering the camping option this year, only went for the Sunday last year but my next door neighbours went down for both days, I'd be coming from Sheffield way so it's a bit of a trek to go both days in the car.

last year a few mebers of my local club (castle colchester mcc) went there and all enjoyed it except a certain RICHARD CHAMLEY the walking accident, he decided to walk one of the sections at night and slipped down a hill and cut his head open :chairfall: he won an award at our dinner dance though :chairfall:

Still i hope the club do it again this year coz i wanna go. I think camping is a better option as you can listen to people, who think they are as good as the riders, talking sh*t. And you get a chance to buy some bits 4 yer bike.

Hey, thanks got all the comments.

Sounds really good .... I'm getting excited .... I notice the website is running a count down!!!

I recon my lad is gonna struggle to see anything on Sunday so Saturday is a must.

Not sure I can cope with 2 nights under canvass with him so we'll probably come down Sat morning early and stay till Sunday eve.

Guess the best plan of action is to pack the tent away Sunday evening, giving the roads chance to clear a bit before we leave.

im thinking about this,

always been interrested in trials just never had the time, chance etc. to compete or watch.

so this would be my first big outdoor event been to sheff indoor which was really impressive, the lass fancies it too, so would it be good to go all out and camp or would it be better to go for one day to taste it this year ??

and why do sunday over saturday, it costs more so is it better ??

Edited by Magicmat

I would also really really like to go to Hawkstone and it's my first time.

This may sound like a right stupid question but is it possible to get anywhere near there on a train or bus or owt because I don't reckon I'll have passed my driving test by then, and even if I have two hours on the motorway might be abit much for me. I might be able t blag a lift yet, but I'd have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Also Magic Mat, the sunday is more expensive and probably better because the actual trial happens on the sunday from what I've heard.

bob

I would also really really like to go to Hawkstone and it's my first time.

This may sound like a right stupid question but is it possible to get anywhere near there on a train or bus or owt because I don't reckon I'll have passed my driving test by then, and even if I have two hours on the motorway might be abit much for me.  I might be able t blag a lift yet, but I'd have to wait and see.

Cheers,

bob

There's always the possibility that someone local could pick you up from local train station or summat.

Shrewsbury is the nearest train station. You'd have a job to get right there with public transport. Put it this way though, I'm sure something could be arranged if you were stuck.

Probably easier and cheaper to find someone from Yorkshire to share fuel with though. Ask around in Yorkshire, and if you're stuck I know we could sort something down here.