Recommended Oils for my 1979 Sherpa 250....

Corny

For pre-mix 2-stroke oil it depends on what is available locally.  I use to like MC-1 from Belray back in the day because it was the first you could mix 80:1 in a Montesa 360VA  remember back in the day gasoline had much higher octane, old bikes were designed to run on period fuels, personally if I was running an old bone bike today it would be on boosted fuel and synthetic mixed as per the manufacturers label.  Some brands tend to plug exhaust systems worse then others.

For old Bultaco transmission and clutch you are good using all season hydraulic excavator oil ISO 46 which you can buy in quantity from any farm or heavy equipment store, I have used lots of brands and they all perform equally well.  New Holland Ambra, Kubota, John Deere, Hyundai It's basically the same thing they use in farm tractor transmissions.  Inexpensive enough to can replace it frequently.  Farm tractors have everything inside them same a 2-stroke transmission, gears and wet clutch/brakes. 

I put the heaviest gearbox oil I can find in the gearbox 600cc. The reason is that there is a breather above the countershaft sprocket and if you put the bike on its side the lighter oils spill out pretty quickly. In the clutch case 300cc of ATF if you aren't going to play with the clutch when riding. If you are running fibre clutch plates and plan on slipping the clutch then any of the light gearbox oils like ELF, GRO etc will work. In the engine we are running 60:1 of any of the new synthetic oils.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use 80/90 weight car hypoid gear oil in the gearbox. 550cc if just changing it or 600cc if you have had it apart. Primary side I have been using a motorcycle 10/30 weight gear oil. 250cc is just changing it or 300cc if you have had it apart. Premix I have been using Castrol TTS or Power 1 Racing they call it now with the highest octane premium petrol you can get at 50 to 1.

• Like 1