Pursang question

bultoboy

Hi Bultoboy. As far as I know it was on the MK 8 Pursangs which was 1975 or so. It happened because the USA government made a law which said that all road going motorcycles sold in the USA had to shift on the left and rear brake had to be on the right. The MK 7s only had right side shift.

Edited by bullylover
  • Like 1

I don’t think it was the US that mandated the manufacture of left side shift.  It was more the governing bodies around the world such as the fim that brought the idea forward.  Many Harley’s were right side shift as new and the American manufactures would’ve had to follow suite like everyone else.  In reality though….. Bultaco was a holdout in this area.   Bulto didn’t believe in left side shift.  Most other European manufactures already were and his brand was the odd man out.  

on another note.  I’ve tried over the years to get used to left side braking.  And I can use it.  But not effectively.  The switch to left shift right brake was a good one globally in my opinion 

Steve 

I have been riding modern sidecar for a decade and before that bultaco with a left side shift.

Was hoping to ride pre74 but with a left hand change. Also want a European manufacturer so I can ride pre65 club and Mortimer.

I'm not sure how much left-handedness / righthandedness plays a part in how natural either set up feels.

In my own collection of bikes I have both right change / left brake and left change / right brake ; the gearchange of these also varies between up-for-up and down-for-up. In use, after the first brake use or gearchange I can usually cope once on the move. I also have one twist-and-go bike that can sometimes feel quite strange with no foot controls and handlebar levers for both front and rear brakes. 

I once asked a very capable rider with great experience in trials, motocross, grass track racing and road riding what was his most memorably testing bike to ride. His answer ?  A pre-war Indian........with left hand throttle twistgrip -  hand operated gearchange and  foot operated clutch.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1