Evo rear caliper assembly

McTrucky

I have a 2009 evo 250, my mate has a 2021 (or22) 300.

My rear caliper simply has two pads with a screw in pin holding them in.

My mate's has a spring in there, presumably to minimise pad rattling.  I have not had a close look at his set up, so am not sure if they are identical or not.

Does anyone know if I should have a spring in there?  And if so, does it matter that mine is missing?

There is a spring between the rear pads on more modern Evos and they may have started fitting them around 2019.   The addition of this spring not only eases the fitting of the rear wheel by keeping the pads slightly apart, but appears to reduces the drag and wear a little as it allows them a bit of clearance and the brake release is certianly noticeable compared to earlier models where no spring is fitted.

It is possible that some people may lose these in the first pad change as you are not expecting a spring to be fitted, they don't show on the parts list and are not available as spares. So if you have a spring, don't lose it, and if you find an odd shaped spring on the garage floor, you now know where it comes from!

EVO rear brake pad spring 2019.pdf