Silver Hammerite

rr62

1 hour ago, rr62 said:

My TY175 frame could do with a quick refresh. Has anyone used smooth silver hammerite spray. And if so, did it wear well - especially where boots rub on the sides?

@rr62If you want to paint it at home yourself then there is not much choice other than automotive 2K 2 Pack but that  needs to be treated with respect for health reasons and could prove costly. if you want to keep the paint on the frame when you have sprayed it with Smoothrite it is best to leave it to cure for a week then cover the areas that you want to protect with Moto-X Grade self adhesive clear plastic sheet and use a heat gun to soften it up when you apply it or it will be hard to work with.

I have used the smooth silver hammerite on a frame and it has been okay, 2K would be better, but to be honest no paint will withstand boots rubbing, scraping over tree roots, rocks etc. So as mentioned, it's a good idea to protect these areas with frame protector/ clear plastic.

One advantage of 2K paint is that it is a lot more resistant to petrol so any spilt petrol doesn't wash off your new paint 

Yeah, smoothrite is good for brushing on stuff, I've not had much success with it sprayed (though maybe I should have laid it on thicker and not worried about runs).  I bit the bullet and had my TY frame powder coated since I wanted to Majesty-ise it anyway, but there's some people who don't like that because tiny cracks can't be spotted below the plastic ... I figure I'd not spot those anyway, plus the bike doesn't have a hard life with me, lol