TRS airbox wash cover

Harry44

Under the saddle/fender, they have a TwinAir oiled foam air filter with a small piece of plastic bolted immediately over the filter element so water doesn't drop down directly on the filter, the air box has a drain in the bottom with a one way flap valve to let water out, but sometimes that gets plugged with mud so you need to clean the air box occasionally.  TRS seem to do well in water crossings, way better than some brands.   On some other makes the rear wheel funnels water into the air intake and the filter fills with water quickly.  TRS air box has a considerable volume to fill before the filter becomes submerged.

• Like 1

Ive never really thought about missing one. Trials airboxes are a little more water tight than a mx airbox. Yes, water gets into both when using a power washer, but with a trials bike its usually so little that its never going to get through the air filter as well.

If however i want to wash the inside of my airbox, i usually just take the whole airbox off. This is on my gg though which is a 30 second job, dont know how hard it is to take a trs airbox off. I guess it would be handy for those really muddy times you want to wash the inside of airbox along with washing the bike, howver id be so paranoid of water getting in id probably end up taking the airbox off afterward to dry the inlet hose lol

Edited by faussy

The TRS airbox sometimes comes from the factory with an imperfectly sealed join between upper and lower sections. It's pretty trivial to split the join, add sealant to the voids and screw it back together if you find dirt/water getting in.
Once it's properly sealed I've not seen any water get into the airbox from washing or riding in non-drenching conditions.

Removing the airbox is just four easy-to-get-to socket screws and a hose clamp. No big deal to wash the inside as needed - similar to GasGas.

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, lemur said:

Under the saddle/fender, they have a TwinAir oiled foam air filter with a small piece of plastic bolted immediately over the filter element so water doesn't drop down directly on the filter, the air box has a drain in the bottom with a one way flap valve to let water out, but sometimes that gets plugged with mud so you need to clean the air box occasionally.  TRS seem to do well in water crossings, way better than some brands.   On some other makes the rear wheel funnels water into the air intake and the filter fills with water quickly.  TRS air box has a considerable volume to fill before the filter becomes submerged.

My 21 300 air box filled right up with water and stayed in there till I vacuumed it out I did not see a water could get out 

12 hours ago, Assgas said:

My 21 300 air box filled right up with water and stayed in there till I vacuumed it out I did not see a water could get out 

There is a drain hole in the bottom and you will find it once you remove the air box and completely clean it, will require some significant digging to clear the hole.