New smaller rider looking for 1st bike

mrskywalker

Clutch control is one of the best things to use a trials bike to master. I have found the belleville spring gas gas clutch problematic to adjust. I like a grabby clutch to get rear wheel lift and the gas gas clutch gets softer over time even though plates are in spec. You have to adjust it with different thickness steel plates and/or the Xiu ring.

https://www.xiu-rdi.eu/comprar/40/soporte-de-muelle-ajustable.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well Ive been working on the bike getting it going. Gone thru it all and its been running great, did my first ride yesterday for about 20min before it ran out of gas(only mixed a little for testing). That said I knew it would need some revs to get up and over stuff but its pretty crazy. I think I need to make a few clutch adjustments or need to bleed it a little better(had a dry master when I got it). Anyway heres a little before and after(not the greatest after pic but it looks 10x better than when it showed up needing a lot love). Only have about $1800 into it so far and dont see it needing anything major for the time being.

Product photo of 2003 Gas Gas txt pro 125 trials bike motorcycle

370008027_368338112260527_4859126585587713099_n.jpg.5d95d9f527bf805afc9ff1a60ae76792.jpg

3 minutes ago, mrskywalker said:

The bike was sitting for 6yrs in TX so it was actually dried out. I flushed the system, inspected seals and refilled, its DOT fluid as its 03. Its been a few weeks since that issue was addressed and hasnt lost any fluid since.

Almost guarantee the fluid leaked down through the O-ring, only way it could evaporate to that extent is if you left the reservoir cap and rubber diaphragm off.  The purpose of the rubber diaphragm is to reduce water from contacting the hygroscopic DOT fluid.  Moisture on top of the diaphragm is water that has entered through the tiny vent hole and condensed.  Vent hole needs to be clear or lower fluid level will create a vacuum in the reservoir. 

• 2 months later...

Well the 125 has been working good, no issues and riding several times a week, but have another friend getting into trials who is gonna buy it and I came across what looks like an early Montesa 4rt for $2500 as a replacement. If it is the older 250 is it worth going for or should I just get a 21 beta 300 factory edition for $4400(250 hours but well kept)? Both are about 5-7hrs away and I like the idea of the newer beta but its alot more investment but both seem like good deals.

Product photo of Cota  MentosaProduct photo of Cota  Mentosa

Product photo of 2021 Beta 300 2t evo