Battery question

stocks17

Hey there, 

Wow it's been a long time since I've been on this forum, I think I had a Montesa 315 last I posted here.

I now have an older EM sport.

I think it's like a 2015, just noticed lately when the battery is charging it'll get to the last two bars and start blinking.

If I shut the battery off and turn it back on it'll show a full charge.

Just curious what this indicates if anyone's a battery expert. 

Thanks

That's strange behavior.  The LED display is an autonomous voltmeter that is not being controlled by the BMS. 

There are two relevant pages on my EM website.  This one describes the 5.7's battery in some detail: https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home/em-5-7/5-7-battery

This one shows two inexpensive power meters (one for the DC side, and one for the AC side of the charger) that have helped me understand the charger's progress: https://www.electricmotiontech.com/home/em-5-7/10-amp-charger

9 hours ago, stocks17 said:

... just noticed lately when the battery is charging it'll get to the last two bars and start blinking.

If I shut the battery off and turn it back on it'll show a full charge.

Taken literally, this suggests that you have the battery turned ON while charging. Not sure that is a recommended state, or that the indicator should be trusted while doing do.

14 minutes ago, dgshannon said:

Taken literally, this suggests that you have the battery turned ON while charging. Not sure that is a recommended state, or that the indicator should be trusted while doing do.

The older EMs (5.7 / sport) require that the battery switch be on during charging.  The BMS detects voltage at the charge port and enables the charge relay instead of the discharge relay. 

Edited by konrad