EVO 200 MY 23 ?

alfonso

4 minutes ago, alfonso said:

That's  what i am trying to ascertain , do i need another mild mannered 250 or is the 200 better for me now, how do you guys find the EVO 250 ?

How much you weigh is a factor if you are choosing an engine size on a trials bike if you weigh 17 stone go for a 250/300 , If you are 12 stone or less 125/200 is plenty of power for riding the easy white route. There have been younger riders that have completed the Scottish 6 Days on 125cc bikes in recent times , 200cc has much more power and torque to do what you need it to do , If you are wanting to do road trials/National events sometime in the near future you might want to consider a 250cc.

• Like 1

13 stone full spec !, I am erring toward the 200  getting toward 60 now so i just want a easy ride (don't we all!)

i have not really heard any horror stories about the 200 and have no doubt about  the Beta as a brand/reliability/availability of spares etc

Thank' s so far for all the advice 👍

13 minutes ago, alfonso said:

13 stone full spec !, I am erring toward the 200  getting toward 60 now so i just want a easy ride (don't we all!)

i have not really heard any horror stories about the 200 and have no doubt about  the Beta as a brand/reliability/availability of spares etc

Thank' s so far for all the advice 👍

As you are used to the Yamaha TYZ motor in the Scorpa I think you may find that the Beta 200 feels equal too it in terms of power output  as motors have been developed for more power and better response than back then because of the obsession now with going up great big steps , at 13 stone I think you will find it plenty powerful for your needs /likes . Enjoy whatever you choose. 

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Like 1

Don't overthink it, or spend too much time asking for peoples opinions on the internet. Everyones got different experiences.

Start by having a ride on the bike you're thinking of buying, you'll soon know whether it suits you or not. An EVO 250 is the default clubman bike, i'd start there, get a test ride.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alfonso said:

I kind of had it in my head that the EVO 200 might just be very similar to the SY 250 which had such easy power and was a joy to ride, even with my limited ability'

If you had the Yamaha motor in the 250 Scorpa, the power and more importantly the torque of the 200 Beta engine is actually quite different IMHO. The Yamaha engine was very good but heavy by modern standards I believe. There is also a 225 Vertigo but it's closer to a 200 Beta than an average 250 in feel and go and expensive. A 250 perhaps with a thicker cylinder head gasket might be a better all round bike for the different terrain that you might ride and as pointed out the going between sections as well. More gear changing needed on smaller engines as the gears are 'shorter.' 

• Like 1

A friend who is is presently riding a 2007 Scorpa SY250, is getting a 2024 Beta 250. He rode my 200 and a 250, and he felt that the 250 was smoother. I still find that the ground speed on the 250 is just a tick faster for me, so the next obstacle comes up faster.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My prior two bikes were 250s and I am now on a Beta 200. I do not find the power lacking, it climbs hills as well as the 250s but is a little better in the slow and slippery. It pops over logs and short little burst with ease. My first bike was a Scorpa with the SY yamaha 250, very mellow with tons of flywheel, but I would not compare it to a Beta 200 at all. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, micm said:

The old yamaha Scorpa and the Beta 200 are very different bikes.  

i'm pleased you enjoy the 200 but I personally had a new one for a 12 month and was very glad to see the back of it. 

So what bike replaced it?

I bought a TRS 300 One R with the (really handy) first year of the electric start.

The dealer said 'it is animal' which was kind of off putting as I picked it up (during covid) but he was talking rubbish as it was a lovely bike. as I immediatley discovered when I tried it.

My 200 went right up north in England. I asked the guy what sort of sections he rode and he said pretty flat rocky streams. I said what gear and he said always bottom. 

That sounded ideal for the bike. 

• Like 1

I think its important to to take into account what the OP is going to use this bike for and that his age is almost 60, the use is the easy route in UK club trials. I live in the UK and can say that if he is a fairly competent rider then he could have some good rides using a well prepped TWINSHOCK FANTIC or 200 TY YAMAHA a current 200cc mono shock is well on top of the job and if it cannot be coaxed into winning the class of white route in the UK  every time out then that is the riders fault not the bikes  The white EASY route that the OP is going to ride is not as difficult as this example of UK sections Terrain. https://youtu.be/Ev9FqM0g5hQ?feature=shared

Edited by Tr1AL