Filter Oil

dr nick

I bought some new filter oil and followed the instruction to the letter

Its `Putoline Action Fluid`

now that i`ve come to clean it off my filter,it wont clean off properly.

I`ve tried hand washing with washing up liquid(the one that keeps your hands as soft as your face :huh: )

and then putting it in the washing machine on its own

but its still got a tacky residue and dark blue streaks in

did it have to much fluid on in the 1st place ?

if so what would be the running symptoms of having to much filter oil if any?

As I said ..I followed the instructions to the letter which was - totally immerse filter in the fluid then gently squeeze it out until an even light blue colour is acheived and no blue streaks are seen ,let it stand for 10 mins then repeat ,then leave for 24hrs before fitting

Anyone else have this problem?

regards

N

You can't get all the filter oil out and the dirt with washing up liquid despite what anyone says, you need filter cleaning fluid.

People think that their filters are clean but if you then clean them AGAIN with filter cleaning fluid you will see more grit and muck wash out.

Sorry Nick, not familiar with Putoline product. Is it petroleum based? ...or alcohol (like NoToil and I think the new Bio-Twin Air). If it is petrol based, then a good washing in kerosine will take it off. Then wash filter again afterwards in nice warm soapy water (dish soap).

If it's the bio-stuff, then you'll likely need the specific cleaner to do the job well.

Too much oil on the filter will make the bike run rich.

The No-Toil brand is working great for me. It's not messy when it's time to wash it and you can flush it in the drain without "polluting". It works better with the soap it comes with but I tried with regular laundry powder soap and it works OK too.

i use ipone filter oil its great stuff it comes out the bottle nice and runny to cover the filter properly and then it dries really tacky and it washes out well with filter cleaner but there is one tip one it comes to oiling your filter dont use 2 stroke oil cause it drains out of the filter then goes into the carb and when you rwally need that burst of power to get you up that climb your bike burbles and spluters cause it has just had a nice sludgy shot of oil

Call me a tight a*** or just STUpid...'cause I'm no mechanic....BUT...I just soak mine in a small dish of petrol...wring it out untill its NEARLY dry..and put it back.

Bike seems to run fine..and I've been doing it for about a year.

Mind you...if I'm really harming the bike in anyway, I would appreciate someone letting me know!

[Call me a tight a*** or just STUpid...'cause I'm no mechanic....BUT...I just soak mine in a small dish of petrol...wring it out untill its NEARLY dry..and put it back.

Bike seems to run fine..and I've been doing it for about a year.

Mind you...if I'm really harming the bike in anyway, I would appreciate someone letting me know! ]

Well I wouldn't call you stupid, but you would never get away with it in a dusty enviornment. The oil that coats the foam is what traps the dust and particles. If you ride indoors or just on grass you may get away with just the foam for a while but eventually your engine will be ruined. If you are a tight a*** just use motor oil to coat the filter. If you are really a tight a*** used motor oil would be better than nothing. I suggest you get some air filter oil. Put your clean filter in a zip-lock plastic bag pour in a small amount of oil. Squish the air out of the bag and zip it tight. Squeeze the oil around into the filter until the foam is evenly coated. I have used a rolling pin with good effect. You can use paper towls or shop rags to remove any excess oil. I suggest you do it quickly while you still have bearings and some compression left.

Gasoline will eventually perish the filter and you may begin to suck bits of it into the engine.

It could also attack the glue that holds the seams together and one could open up while riding.

Dawn dishwashing liquid works great. Cuts oil/grease.

If you're cheap, even some cheap motor oil on the filter is much better than nothing.