2021 Braktec front caliper drag

2 hours ago, bikerpet said:

If you're referring to the clip in the photo, that's the anti-wear shim I tried to create. Thinner SS required though.

The anti-rattle spring sits over the top of the pads. But I've ditched that anyway.

You are building brake parts 🤔 are you trying to build up a dimension on the brake pad steel backing plate?  why not use JB weld epoxy or something similar to build up the surfaces and then file it to precise shape and fit?

8 hours ago, lemur said:

You are building brake parts 🤔

Yes. The OEM caliper wore grooves that affected function in just a couple of hundred hours. That can and should be improved.

8 hours ago, lemur said:

are you trying to build up a dimension on the brake pad steel backing plate?

No. Take a moment to look at the picture again and you should see the shim I made is in the front of the caliper where the pads bear on the caliper body. Where I photographed the cleaned up wear grooves as described in the post two above my 'solution' post. (below)

On 3/5/2024 at 6:37 AM, hugo_furst said:

Grooves where the steel plate of the brake pad rides on the aluminum caliper.  Trials bike brakes usually lack the stainless steel protector found on Nissin and Brembo MX/enduro brakes.

9 hours ago, lemur said:

why not use JB weld epoxy

I like JB weld, but I'm not at all convinced that it's sufficiently hard, strong and abrasion resistant enough in thin sections to outperform aluminium. Maybe it is, but I'm not sufficiently confident to spend time on it.
I think some thin 1/2 hard stainless sheet would be far superior.

• Like 1