steering head bearings

halfway

Steering head bearings in my Synt are shot but can't find them listed anywhere. The bearings are 42mm OD x 20mm ID x 15mm deep. I think they are the same size as lots of other bikes but anyone know what other models bearings will fit?

They don't make bearings just for motorcycles, take it to a bearing supply store. 

... if it is a taper bearing you just described a common 32004 taper bearing 

Edited by lemur
  • Like 1

Thanks folks, yes it is a common taper roller and I can get them fine from a bearing shop but having the seals to go with them would be good, which I can't find. Was hoping that a kit with seals from another bike would have the same size taper bearings and seals.

Sealed taper bearing, good luck with that you would need to sink the bearing deep into the headstock and install a seal above and below the bearings.  If your headstock has bearing seals now those too are standard items at the same store.  

Do you really want somebody to put those 4 items into a kit form and sell it to you at 300% markup?

• Haha 1

You're asking the wrong questions, if you want a catalog of taper bearing seals you go to the same place you buy your bearings and ask for the bearing seal catalog.  Bearing seal manufacturers include names like Timken, FAG, SKF and dozens more that you will recognize.  Virtually every bearing supplier has listings for bearing seals on spec, you're just asking for the wrong thing when you ask for kits to fit a specific vehicle application.

... taper roller bearings with a seal on one side and only a grease cup on the other side is standard equipment on the majority of car, truck and trailer wheels traveling the road today.

All sorted, getting the bearings was never the issue. Simply bearings have them, it was the seperate seals that I was struggling with as them I couldn't find on any bearing suppliers website, they do them for the other size tapper rollers but not the 32004. Turns out after cleaning up that there is an 'o' ring in a groove at the bottom of the head stem and a washer at the top with an 'o' ring, these were missing, they will do a fine job of sealing the head stock with new 'o' rings.

Cheers all.