Beta Curious…

Posted (edited)

I rode my Fantic 200 yesterday in awful wet muddy conditions on the Sportsman route. Out of 12 riders in class there were only 5 finishers and I came third, albeit with quite a score! This was against modern bikes, first place Bultaco, second place Beta Evo, third me (Fantic), fourth Bultaco, fifth Vertigo …. Make of that what you will! 

Edited by NoTraction
Edit
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The itch I really wish I could lose is the wish to try a 4T, either Montesa or Beta. I did have a 4Ride for a while and I could not find traction in the slippy stuff so you’d think that would be enough for me. But it’s hard to get past the look/sound and quality of the 4RT.
This is the trouble when you live the bikes for the bikes sakes, not just as a sports apparatus to do a job…

The most sensible thing for me will be to save a few more shekels and get a new shape Gas Gas, I know it, I liked my Gas Gas more than my Beta 200. I’m just always curious about the options… want to try everything!

Edited by NoTraction

16 minutes ago, NoTraction said:

The itch I really wish I could lose is the wish to try a 4T, either Montesa or Beta. I did have a 4Ride for a while and I could not find traction in the slippy stuff so you’d think that would be enough for me. But it’s hard to get past the look/sound and quality of the 4RT.
This is the trouble when you live the bikes for the bikes sakes, not just as a sports apparatus to do a job…

The most sensible thing for me will be to save a few more shekels and get a new shape Gas Gas, I know it, I liked my Gas Gas more than my Beta 200. I’m just always curious about the options… want to try everything!

I am sorry to say the only "sensible" thing to do is collect motorcycles.  My wife does not understand this, but it is the truth ☺️

I have had an "itch" for a very long time since some little scumbag stole my old Honda XL250 (pinched in '89).  I never found a suitable replacement - the XT350 and DR350 were the ideal bikes but just a tiny bit out of budget.  For a very long time I have not had a trail bike, just a road bike and since back in the UK a trials bike as well.  I have found the solution to the itch and now have a CRF250L as well.  Is three bikes enough?  Hmmmm....   Well....  Maybe.  Sort of.  Perhaps.  I like the idea of a twinshock to be honest.......

(PS the wife likes the new Honda so all is going well so far - she is enjoying riding "my" bike)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoTraction said:

... I did have a 4Ride for a while and I could not find traction in the slippy stuff so you’d think that would be enough for me. ...

Sounds like you need to let about 12 PSI out of your rear tire.  The bike with you on it should provide better traction.then when you are walking in your boots.

1 hour ago, lemur said:

Sounds like you need to let about 12 PSI out of your rear tire.  The bike with you on it should provide better traction.then when you are walking in your boots.

No, only had 3 in it. What I meant was, compared to my 2 Stroke trials bike (Gas Gas at the time) I just couldn’t get the hang of getting traction on wet muddy banks. It would lose traction, then I would be stuck, and it was heavy. Plus compared to a ‘proper’ trials bike, the high seat really didn’t help in those situations. Just saying, I would love to try a proper Mont trials bike (4rt) for a while but would seriously question whether it’s a good idea in place of an ‘easier to ride in the slop’ 2T here in the southern UK…

Id like to add, it’s great to be able to generally chew the fat and ask/receive knowledge and casual opinions on Trials Central.  On the Facebook ‘groups’ it’s hard to ask anything without getting a barrage of opinionated and mostly irrelevant comments whenever you start a thread. Add to that you have to use your ‘proper name’, it’s easy to get a load of ‘he said, he did, I know better than you’ contributors haunting your profile. I much prefer proper forums like this that are less personal and more topical. Long may it serve.. 👌

• Like 1

After the first lap of section one in the rain here yesterday, mud trashed one steep run-up to the point that nothing was working for anyone, a bucket or two of crushed stone might have made it ridable again, I was very tempted to do roadwork after everybody completed their first loop 😆 but that just didn't seem right so we just crashed there lots instead.

• Haha 1