4rt Start Tip

oz thumper

Maybe save someone some embarasment. Having had fourstrokes for a good number of years and two 4RT's I still got caught out today after dropping the bike in a section. Bike fell amongst the rocks and was revving fairly high when I hit the kill button. Picked up the bike as many times before and but for the first time ever it didn't fire up. Pushed out of the section and kicked until I was stuffed, fetched new plug still no go, found I had no spark so disconnected kill switch and all usual things but no go.

Got home checked all wiring etc including diagnostic tool, but no change.

Finally found (after a tip off from our friendly importer. Tarp) the throttle cable had pulled out of the twist grip housing and slid up the rubber ferrule and was holding the throttle about half open.

Pushed it back into place and Bingo!

I was aware that heaps of throttle was a disaster for starting but didn't realise it killed the ignition and injection circuit when to far open.

Cheap repair but wish I had found it at the trial !!! :lol:

This has happened to me a couple of times whilst riding sectionsas it seems quite sensative, I've now positioned the throttle almost flat on the brake lever & it hasn't happened since. My bike got knocked over when parked next to a section yesterday & the throttle got knocked, it quite happily started at approx half throttle. I find the kill button poor on the 4rt, it doesn't seem to have a good positive feel when pressed like say a Yamaha one.