Mont 349 Clutch

drowned rat

Just wondering if any of you guys could help me with a couple of problems with my 349 clutch ?

I rebuilt the engine some time ago but the clutch has never been right, always drags even when warm.

Tried different oils from TQF (dextron) to light gear oil that was for my TXT GG. The TQF made the clutch very snachy, like a on/off switch but still dragged :beer:

The light gear oil smoothed the take off up but still it dragged.

The second problem is that on occasion the clutch will slip when kicking the bike over.

I can understand that the plates may be worn and that new ones may cure the slip but is there anything that can stop the drag.

I suggest you ride a few other 349s and compare. The clutch on the 349 and 348 is probably the worst aspect of those bikes for modern trials riding techniques. The drag should be livable but it should not slip.

Sometimes slip combined with drag can mean plates that are not flat.

Slip combined with drag can also be caused by the springs exerting uneven pressure on the pressure plate.

After lots of work, my 348 clutch disengages nicely and doesn't slip, but engagement is still difficult to control in tight turns. It really is a good bike for non-stop events!

Cheers for that feetup :beer:

I will try and get a go on another to try, just seem a bit few and far between round here.

I have heard that it is a common feature of the bikes but also heard that some people have took a plate out to try and combat the drag, just wondering what the success rate of that is ?.

May just get some new plates and see how I get on

Thanks

Hy

When I was riding 20 years ago my Cota 349, I put in clutch plates form a Honda CB 125 (or so) with kork. I can't remember, but I think instead of 6 plates then because of the cork only 4 fitted. Diameter is same, but I had to cut each seond "tooth" (Cota had only 4 instead of 8). But it really improved. This trick was recommended by Felix Krahnst