World Champ

alan bechard

OK, well, you guys speak something that slightly resembles what I speak, or at least a lot closer then the Spanish do, so I will ask you guys,

When you have a World Champ from your country, does the number of riders /participants / spectators go up and when you lose the world championship does it diminish? I am speaking on a general kind of basis.

Said another way, do your club secretaries (I think that is what you call them) see an increase in membership when Dougie is World Champ and does your membership fall off if he loses?

Although i am not adrressed here, i can honestly say that for the dutchclubs it won't matter whoever wins the championship, a dutch or spanish guy :D;) I am not follower of fashion, i am a man.

:thumbup:

I don't know about the british riders though. I think they all quit riding next year. ;)

the question should be ...

when martin lampkin had the newspaper shop in silsden how many extra yorkshire men took up the sport?

hundreds... you never saw a pile of 'trials and motocross news' so high and if you didnt go in the shop dougie or mart delivered the damn paper on old bikes..

If you go down any street and ask people at random who Dougie Lamkin is; how many will have a clue?

or Sammy Miller?

Even Steve Saunders?

Our biggest stars are not household names unfortunately.

I don't think it makes any difference to the number of entries at the average club trial.

I wouldn't say it really makes any difference to the number of riders, however I know that it does make a difference to the number of spectators that you can expect to have the World Champ there.

The pother year when he road the Manx Two Day, and was World Champ it enabled us to get more coverage in the local press and as trials is quite well known here anyway it meant we had loads more spectators following the trial that weekend, some who has barely seen a trial but had just heard his name.

and the weather was nice :thumbup: