Bad Idle On 240

grib

My 240 wont idle properly - it doesn't return to idle when its revved when its cold, and when its hot the revs climb by themselves unless you slip the clutch. Does anyone knw what could be causing this? is it a common problem with 240s?

Grib, if you recall i had idle probs on my 240, except it died away. Anyway, during my efforts to sort my problem i did ascertain that rising revs or too fast idle was a symptom of flywheel side crank seal gone...makes a bit of sence though

S.M

Grib,

This sounds like case of a weak fuel / air mixture at idle.

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture screw. Screw it in for weaker and out for richer.

You need to richen it up.

Is your air filter it top condition with oil on it. If its got holes or not sitting properly , this is likely to cause the problem.

As 348 mate said this can be caused by crank case seals leaking , pulling air from the flywheel side or via the clutch side into the crank weakening the mixture. These seals dont last forever and may be your problem.

Try these in order and good luck :wall: