First Proper Ride On My Sy250

nitjay - hrc

Well a few asked my to tell you how it went when i finally got to ride the thing so here goes.

It was a training trial today, so i could go round and ride the sections as often as i liked, it was a little wet so brilliant!

I cannot believe the difference between my old TXT and this, the engine is amazing, ive got a slow action throttle and you dont need to open it up most of the time, just keep it going with a little throttle, but when you do open it up it really pulls, it wants to backflip, just keeps going and going! There were climbs today where on my old bike i would be using third or fourth, whereas today i mostly used first, with a little second. I can finally jump across banks and up onto logs and stuff with a little blip of the throttle. Im so chuffed with it, it made the journey to buy it well worth it! It will take some getting used to, the steering is really light, and the handlebars can turn a long way before getting stopped, that caught me out a little.

There was someone else there with exactly the same bike, and his engine sounds identicle to mine, there is a knock there, but he said hes changed the piston and rings etc, and it still sounds exactly the same, so that got that worry out of my system, also someone who is a dealer had a listen and said theres nothing wrong with that, they do make that noise.

I have a few little things with it which can easily be sorted, the front brake feels a little distant and sqeaks, probably the pads need changing or something. Also the suspension is very soft, after a jump across a bank it was really close to bottoming out and the landing was a little violent!

Im so pleased i chose Scorpa, and can't wait to get out again on it in a couple of weeks time (hopefully)

Thanks for all your previous help

Nj

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

Good to hear it Nitjay, you wont look back now. And you'll be stagered when it comes to maintenance, coz there is none! :blink:

They take a little getting used to, I'm still not 100% with mine and i've had it since january. if you try and ride it like the gassers, they dont want to be ridden like that.

If you want to know your engine is ok, download the video andy has put up of marc freixa on section 2 and listen to that rattle! :D

smart move :wall:

Christ mines quieter than that you can see the others looking, and once its warm doesnt really do it on idle. If a world Champ riders bike makes that noise, iam sure mine making that noise wont affect me!

Thanks for showing me that

I wonder whats the cause of it? Does your 06 sound like that?

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

I just wish I had those black wheels and 'sticky up' rear mudguard.

no no no - horrible :)

As regards your noise Nitjay, it could just be a bit of knock/rumble from the 'float' ?? on the clutch basket which you can get on some bikes (KTM for example) My 94 TYZ has just had new mains and piston and there is still a slight noise but it is from the clutch rather than the engine. Only reason it had to have these was the bike had obviously taken in water at some time in the past before I had it. It ran fine but was noisy as the bearings had rusted up. If it hadn't been sunk at some time it would still be on the originals... I think you'll be pleased with the quality of the Yam motor.

I've never checked it on my 06 but I have been informed that the noise is off the primary gear (end of crank to clutch basket). its a straight cut gear which reduces drag but is more noisey. my TYZ's made the same noise and will presumeably have had the same set up.

Well like i said i dont really mind that mine makes that noise, if frexia is riding WoTc rounds with his louder than mine, and he seemed to get up that giant step ok.

ITs just that its a completely different bike. I cant wait till i can get used to it, i should improve quite a bit.

Does your 06 sound like that?

no, not yet :)

Scorpa3, you can easily have a 'sticky up' rear mudguard. got one on mine.

My 06 sounds just like my 04 but my 04 still nearly as new as my 06 :beer:

I had my first two real rides in the last couple of weeks on the 06, a one day and a two day. Only riding clubman (I'm a fraidy cat and hate falling off) but I won both trials and put in two clean laps :wall:

I'm getting heckled to go up to veterans (over 40) but my knees knock louder than a worn out fantic at the thought :)

There's no clubman route at the Aussi Nationals in October i'm afraid there Downunder, so you had better start getting scratches on it before you ride in the oldies class!! My 06 bashplate on my 04SY has already taken a pounding I'd hate to see the damage to my side cases if i'd kept the original item!

There's no clubman route at the Aussi Nationals in October i'm afraid there Downunder, so you had better start getting scratches on it before you ride in the oldies class!! My 06 bashplate on my 04SY has already taken a pounding I'd hate to see the damage to my side cases if i'd kept the original item!

SCRATCHES........ oooo no!

I just polished the bashplate this morning :) You really don't expect me to ride anywhere that runs the risk of me falling off do you :beer: When I say clean laps I don't just mean not footing I mean bringing the bike home shiney, that's why my bikes are the best secondhand ones in the country :)

Remind me not to let on my '06 for a demo ride!!!!!