Montesa 4rt/315r

the alcoholic

Thank goodness for this forum, the twits I ride with would rather cut off bits off their anatomy than admitt there could ever be a problem with THEIR bike!! For instance I have ridden the 06 version with the alleged improved clutch (something which from memory was improved as a matter of course every year on the 315 along with the carburation too lets not forget!!!) and cannot feel any discernible difference (it still surges/pulses just like everyone I have ridden), although the plastics/decals do look ever so nice and really deserve a price increase (I am sure you will all agree) compared to the 05.

I am now on my third Montesa (2x4RT & 1x315R), and all of them have at some stage or other had kickstart problems (amongst other maladies, which I am looking forward to discussing at length later). When kicking, or pushing in the case of a 4RT the mechanism seems to slip/dis-engage causing a cracking sound (and by this I DO NOT mean I am enjoying hearing it). Am I just really really unlucky or have any other riders experienced this at some time or other!! and if so what was the cause/cure.

Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

I have known only a few that sheared the bolt and in extreame case, have smashed the alloy boss that was drilled and tapped M6 for this stopper. Remove the clutch cover and have a poke about before any further potential damage can occur.

Do you happen to know how those that smashed the boss in the crankcase casing were resolved? Under warranty?

I have heard of a couple up in North East/ North Yorkshire area damaging casings if the kickstart is allowed to 'fly' back by itself after a kick. They were repaired under warranty. Heard of another sold by a dealer who either couldn't repair it or

didn't have time. Sandifords PAID another dealer to carry out the repair sounds like you can get warranty repairs done from any Montesa dealer. Welldone Sandifords :)

I have a 4rt and have not experienced the 'slip' of the kickstart or any unnatural noises whilst starting.If yours is under warranty i would take it back to your dealer you get 6 months warranty.

You don't mention if your kicking in gear with clutch in or not i tend to put mine in neutral to kick or it takes 5 or 6 kicks with the clutch in instead of 1 or 2.

When i bought mine i asked to have the 315 clutch master cylinder fitted. Al the Spanner suggested i try the bike standard till first service and i haven't bothered changing my clutch.It either works fine or i have gotten used to the on off operation of it

What are your other'maladies' i think mine is great :)

Edited by windlestone

ALchie

When you try and start the bike do you slam the starter down?

sometimes if you are to quick with the initial prod the starter dog is not fully engaged thus producing a grinding sound,

put a little bit of pressure on the kickstarter before you start your full swing and go steady the 4rt loves it steady.

And as for warranty i had a little problem on my bike when delivered and the parts where sent out no quibbles NICE ONE SANDIFORDS AND BVM MOTO.

Dixie

I used to own a GasGas so reckon I am pretty well covered as regards ensuring the mechanism is engaged before (as I said in my original post) pushing the kickstart to start the bike.

No arguments as regards BVM MOTO top guys in my opinion, afraid I can't say anything regarding Sandifords for fear of threats/reprisals/legal action (again)!!!!!!!! Fortunately I will not require any warranty work on my present bike, thank god.

Someone I know has just bought an 06 Mont and we all reckon it was returned by the previous owner, I will leave it up to each individual to guess why!!

Apparently the kickstart wrecked the casing, seems the 06 still suffers from this (perhaps this was for a different reason than normal), I wonder when Montesa will cure it once and for all!!! Still, knowing said individual he insisted on a good deal, picture a screwed up face, much wringing of hands, full life story of hard time befalling said individual and at least three previous generations, present state of world economy etc. along with the words "you're not serious, how much???? surely you could do it for less, the last one I bought only cost 3 and 6 in 1972, hard winter that year ETC. ETC. ETC."

I also believe he is still unhappy with the clutch (Personally I reckon it is his inherent inability to release his clenched fist/wallet) action too, seems the 06 clutch is still not perfect either! (maybe it wasn't reassembled correctly after its rebuild for casing damage, Hmm I WONDER, I still have a sneaking suspicion they put a rattle into the top end of his bike while they were at it, you can hear him from miles away! hard to beat German engineering eh. I must confess I can't notice any difference nor can any others who have compared our respective Monts, except of course that mine is much sharper and better ridden (he he).

Still they do sound smashing (I am of course referring to the exhaust note and not the casing splintering) providing you can get it to start, then of course there is the small matter of getting it to engage a gear! and then you are away (hopefully, God willing).

I am really glad you have had good service from your dealer/distributor, just wish I could say the same regarding either in my case and I have it on good authority I am not alone.

Hi RocketRon, be careful you don't become inbred,iated and fall over and smash your casing in!! It is not so much a matter of wishing to remain anonymous, I don't know how to work all the bells and whistles yet and rarely have the time to play! For anyone interested I am from the planet Mars and have just returned from a trip to Uranus, Hence the penchant for alcohol!!!!!

Thanks for the advice

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Our local top Montesa wrench and former national star DS, has pointed out that correct torque of the clutch hub nut is crucial to a full release. If you just rattle it down it could distort the center hub, causing clutch to drag. (I am only passing on what he told me) Might look into that. JL

Alchie

dude we are from the same planet after all

Maybe its BVM that give the good service ? not the importers

But i must say i feel the montys are well put together,the scorpas i have had recently are also well built (in my humble opinion)

The sherco is not as well finished but when it actually starts its awesome,

pitty it dont start often enough!!!!

The Alcy Man doesnt drink enough in my opinion.If he did he might stop whopping my ass every Sunday on his extremely noisy 4art. Put the restrictors in again,please :P

I may have to borrow your liquid metal (if you havent drunk it all) to complete the repair of my smashed clutch cover on the Scorpa.I really must try less hard to break a rock everytime I ride over one......

See ya on Sunday,hope you have a mega hangover..... :thumbup:

Rocketto

Rocketto you rascal (I reckon you drink enough for both of us, are you doing much polishing in the buff lately?), you said you would never mention the "ass whupping" now I will have to change my name to prevert or something!! Hope you have luck with avoiding rocks etc. when you fall off, although at least you would only have yourself to blame!! I remember getting my bike damaged by a little scamp (cocky little git from memory, his opinion of his ridng far surpassed his ability in my opinion) when it wasn't even moving, now that was annoying.

Hi Dixie, thanks for the vote of confidence (As you say I reckon we are on the same planet mate, couldn't agree with you more as regards bike quality), everyones experience differs. I had REAL REAL problems with both the importer and distributor (not so much with the bike, alttitude counts for a lot in my book). DESPITE this I really liked the 4RT so put my money where my hand was and bought another.I agree they are well built but not unfallable (at least mine isn't, as I fall off it all the time).

I could say the same as you as regards the 4RT, it is also awesome (don't believe what Rocketron says it isn't that noisy (from the saddle) as I hardly ever open the throttle at all) when you can get it to start, tickover etc. etc.!!!!!!!!!! I have a little confession as regards the Sherco Thumper, I deliberately avoided it as I had a sneaking suspicion I might really like it (they turn on a sixpence don't they?) and I really wanted another 4RT, health to ride as they say.

Ferret flasher, whatever dude! I think you may be suggesting I am referring to my bike, thats not my style at all mate. Perhaps someone will come into this post rapidly and put your mind at rest!!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine the size of hole required for a 6' ferret, I seem to recall seeing one on Uranus, would you like me to keep an EYE out for it for you?! The mind boggles Hic Hic!!