Them Rack Thingys

thenewboy

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the Ultimate MX Hauler for a couple years now. Very convenient for the most part. I've hauled my KTM 640 LC4, KTM 200EXC, and Montesa 315R with it. I also have a trailer but prefer the UMXH for long-haul trips with one bike. It's also a good way to haul a fourth bike if you have a larger pickup.

Ultimate MX Hauler website

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in the market for one of these. Autowbars seems the favorite.

How do you stop it from hitting the back when you hit the brakes?

Any pictures of an Autowbars model without the bike on so I can see what it looks like when its off?

What does the towbar look like when its dismantled and removed?

Thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

I use a trailler now but when i had my first bike i used one. They work verry well alough a bit harsh on the car and puts a lot of strain on you suspention . And as to were do you get them my dad nocked one up in work in and hour or two using things they were going to chuck. And cost well free in my case !

I've got a kliponoff rack...(bought YEARS ago)...Im having to use it now since I had to sell my van, and I must say, I cant wait to get a trailer sorted, coz this rack thing looks scarey....AND it seems really hard to find anywhere to tie the bike too!..if anyone has any tips on that I would appreciate it. :guinness:

i use a rack sometimes but now mainly use trailer when i use rack i put a ratchet strap onto the loop were the back wheel sits then over the seat area and down to the rack frame, then a strap around the back wheel and the upright and one strap from the handlebar down to the front wheel frame this keeps the bike away from the car and holds it very secure,

also put a strap around clutch lever and pull it onto grip so that it cannot hit back window if you have to brake suddenly (windows aren't cheap)

dont forget about a light board and number plate tho !!!! :guinness:

OK so I am confussed. :guinness:

I have a trailer at the mo but no where to store it and its a home made non reliable one.

I fancy a carrier but need to be sure I am not going to damage my car or give myself another headache by not feeling confident in it.

So its a autotow bar rack or a new dave cooper trialer that should allow me to store it out of the way??????

time for a :moon:

I've got a kliponoff rack...(bought YEARS ago)...Im having to use it now since I had to sell my van, and I must say, I cant wait to get a trailer sorted, coz this rack thing looks scarey....AND it seems really hard to find anywhere to tie the bike too!..if anyone has any tips on that I would appreciate it. :D

Hey Stu good too hear your all fixed! i`m very near completion myself :D

with my Dave Cooper jobby I `x` over a towel on the seat area and put a strap round the back wheel on the upright there done loads a miles like that. Heatho does it a bit differnt with a strap or two on the bars and few elsewere all a bit of a maze too me?

The only worry I ever have with contact too my car (vectra saloon) is the footpeg on the bumper (fender too our American friends) but a bungee from peg too peg sorts that

I will admit the first 100-200 miles your spincter muscles give it some and your looking in the rear view mirror more than you should be looking forwards but your trust slowly builds up.

Only advise is keep a good eye on the condition of your straps

The bike will move about a little, just make sure you use all

of the strapping points, ours has 5, Just

make sure whatever rack you use you strap it on TIGHT

Then stop thinkging about it.

If the towbar is there, so is thi bike

If the footpegs look too close use a small elastic to hold them up.

A cable tie each time costs pence, does the same job.

There is no way a rack manufacturer/re-seller can guarantee

that any bike will be OK on any certain car.

I have used one for years on different vehicles, but you

do have to take care!

[quote name='Beta Bodger'

So its a autotow bar rack or a new dave cooper trialer that should allow me to store it out of the way??????

time for a :D

We also do VERY good trailers :-)