Them Rack Thingys

thenewboy

Does the weight of the bike make the back of the vehicle sag much?

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and my dad is trying to talk me out of this type of rack. He thinks it will affect my suspension too much and cause stability problems. He wants me to get a trailer instead.

I don't like trailers and would like this rack if it isn't a problem with my rig. I could see a problem with a full size MX bike. But a trials bike is 100 lbs lighter.

Any experience/opinions???

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and my dad is trying to talk me out of this type of rack. He thinks it will affect my suspension too much and cause stability problems. He wants me to get a trailer instead.

I don't like trailers and would like this rack if it isn't a problem with my rig. I could see a problem with a full size MX bike. But a trials bike is 100 lbs lighter.

Trade your car in for a nice little van.chuck the bike and all your gear in the back drive as fast as you like without worring about the bike falling off, and no one can see what you've got in it. nice and safe if you have to park up somewhere and leave it. sorted.

NAAAAAAAA. Van's suk. My vehicle is actually a SUV (like a Ford Explorer, Landrover, etc), not a car. And I have no reason to sell it. It has plenty of room for my gear inside and I can sleep in there too. It also has true four-wheel-drive for my mountain adventures.

I am just asking what others have experienced when adding racks to the rear.

Does the supension sag enough to cause a driving problem???

well depend's how stiff your suspension is on your four wheel drive is.i guess it's gonna by pretty stiff on a vehicle like your's.

If it's a weak suspension then it's gonna sag is'nt it,and handle like crap.

Edited by bilco

Big help Bilco. Tell me something I don't know. :banana2: Feel free to move onto the next topic.

I'm asking for someone with EXPERIENCE in this. Not a stinking GUESS.

I saw pics of several different vehicles (VW and Honda) and others commenting that they had these racks.

I just wanted to know what they EXPERIENCED and how it affected their vehicle.

Then I can decide how that relates to my vehicle.

I've got a Pathfinder and I use a bike rack on it for my bike. I've not had any problems whatsoever with stability. The weight of the average trials bike is 70kgs, and maybe even a bit more, this weight wont affect the stability on a vehicle the size of a Pathfinder. They are built for far more than carrying trials bikes without any problems. On the whole, I find that a bike rack is far easier than a trailer for manouverability and storage too. :banana2: